running in piston rings without a rehone
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: running in piston rings without a rehone

MIGWeb User
    Drives

running in piston rings without a rehone

is this advisable ? all i can see happening without a rehone is the rings taking longer to bed in, or not at all.

just trying to strike a balance between making my car stop liberating oil into the atmosphere without being "off the road" for too long. slapping new rings in is a weekend job, rebore/hone pistons and rings is obviously rebuild tastic. there isnt major lippage at the top of the bores, probably less than the average 140k'er. last time teh head was off i could still see hone marks down the bores.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    3MW B18iS
    I'm sure the Haynes manual says that you can roughen the surface with emery paper.

Drop the pistons out with the engine in the car, roughen surface, refit.

Rather you than me though!
    Do you want to install and run "Adobe Flash Player 9"?
    No, now f*** ***.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    you *must* have a rehone - once whatever roughness hone there is gone, the rings will never ever bed in and people will still take the mick out your blue smoke, just as bad as ever

don't take any chances, do it propa job like... you can do it with wet and dry, but you ought to get a 3 legged jobber at least - best of all is a proper plateau honer, but they're expensive - so unless you can borrow one, it's 3-2-1 activate diy.

make sure you run the rings in aggressively.. plenty of heavy foot action, just to be sure.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    GTE 16v Turbo
    Could you get another Block like Tom did?
    Contemplating lots of things

Astra GTE Turbo - Link Now Working

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    I think he's just wants to fix his cleanly challenged exhaust gas with the minimum muckingaboutage.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    its pot 2 thats at fault really. i know this because 1, 3 and 4 spark plugs are all misty buff, however, plug 2 begins to get fouled with flakey white scale which bares a striking resemblance to the haynes manuals "excessive upper cylinder lubricant" picture guide.

the engines running like a sack of sh-t, burning oil, realistically making not much more power than standard, its sad

i did offer to buy matt J's spare block but hes umming and arring about that.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    anything show on the CT ?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra J VXR/Ampera
    Originally posted by Gary
    it's 3-2-1 activate diy.

*Runs to alert the local hospital that Pooley has muttered them imortal phrase*
    PhilAstra@Hotmail.com

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    ive yet to do one, or rather ive yet to buy a guage and or track down one with a long enough hose. but i can guess the results.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    no, I ***c up other peoples engines nowadays Phil lmao.... other peoples engines......

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra/Sunbeam/Nova
    Cheers
    Failed mot on indicator bulbs not being orange enough DOH

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra/Sunbeam/Nova

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra/Sunbeam/Nova

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    second one

+ a variable speed drill

'proper' engine builders will shudder at these things, but they do work just fine.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Vectra/Sunbeam/Nova
    Got a pic of what the bores should look life afterwards?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra J VXR/Ampera
    no, I ***c up other peoples engines nowadays Phil lmao.... other peoples engines......
    PhilAstra@Hotmail.com

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    why did you choose the second one gary ? just because the first one only goes to 65mm, or something else ?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    the car in front

Re: running in piston rings without a rehone

Originally posted by 0ddball
    is this advisable ?
    no
    all i can see happening without a rehone is the rings taking longer to bed in, or not at all.
    They won't bed at all.
    It might actually burn oil worse than now
    slapping new rings in is a weekend job, rebore/hone pistons and rings is obviously rebuild tastic. ..
    Not with the three-prong thingie.
    I've never used it before (bit too slap-dash if you think about it) but if you want to change the rings with the block in situ, there's no other way.

We need more gen on the crosshatch pattern and any idiosyncracies of these rings.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    the second one has longer stones on the legs, and yes, will reach wider - the first one wouldn't be big enough - that looks like a bike one or something.

I would only ever use the tripod wassit if I were honing for standard rings on a 'low spec' engine (i.e standard CR, < 230bhp ) - if I were dropping omegas in there (i.e moly ring) it'd be after a 'proper' rebore and shop hone.

the tripod will do your bores fine if you're putting in pattern or GM rings - but remember they're techinically a glaze breaker - they're not sold as a 'honing' tool per se - but that's what they do, when they're wielded correctly.

basically, they work best at power screwdriver speeds - and in and out the bores they go at the rate of a good 'slow shag' lmao

you're aiming for a 45 degree cross hatch that covers the bore nicely, but not overly densely.. that's where these 3 leggers fall down a bit as you have a trade off in how long it takes to do versus the coverage - if you're not reaching a certain area well then it shows the bore is worn out of shape - best to fill in poorly honed areas with 120grit wet n dry - you want to remove as little of the bore wall as possible - doing it this way is always a compromise as only a proper plateau hone will remove the smallest amount, and leave a shallow, yet coarse, hone

you really need a picture of a freshly honed bore from a shop to get the best idea.. it's not easy to describe it adequately.

like heads though, it's not a black art (but see comment about engine specs ), and it's easy enough.

just as important is the running in - a good hone is useless if you go and drive gently to scotland and back - you need a combination of high and low (overrun) cylinder pressures to get the rings biting into the bore, and that means only one thing..

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    and that means only one thing..
    get mattJ to drive it, and get a golf tdi to cut him up.

thanks for the gen.

probably not gonna bodge it now. i could easily walk to work, which means engine out proper job.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    sounds like we have a plan

new rings it is then ? - I assume the crap times at the pod have forced the issue.. sounds like you were having trouble getting into 14s ?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    probably gonna strip it and drop the block off at a machine shop, .5 overbore in mind, with .5 omegas

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    ah, much more fulfilling.

would sir be considering getting some slightly larger pockets in those new pistons... you know... just..... in.. case ?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    well it would be these type

i'm guessing are 100-120 each

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    the car in front
    TBH, I was thinking of doing the prong-thing myself. My rings a bit tired at 93K and who am I kidding with all these catch tanks etc? The blowby shouldn't be there in the first place!

My plan would be to use a set of new std rings and just 'brake the glaze' with the prongs (on a drill ofcourse). Still a head-out, sump-out biatch of a job (for an engine that runs fine, considering...)

Any gen on fitting the stock rings as painlessly as poss? David Blane would just toss them through the bonnet and they would endup in the block, wouldn't he?
    Last edited by JohnA; 15-09-2003 at 09:21.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast