Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Cambelt soon to die?

367 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SimonP 
#1 ·
Hello,
my cambelt has been changed at 122000 km, 6 years ago(It was done by previous owner). Since I have bought the car February this year, time from time, there has been a rubbery noise, not to be spoted if you are not carefull. Some mechanic told me that it is due to over-tensioned cambelt, and that this is not so dangerous. But, last months I hear this noise more often and is somehow deeper. I need it just for another 200-300 miles, and then I will change them. What do you think that it will last?
Cheers,
George

#3 ·
When a belt is over-tensioned, it generally makes a high-pitched wining noise.

A slack belt will bang/rub against the belt covers, obviously wearing away as it does it. This sounds like your noise, so I would change it STRAIGHT away, or at least take the cover off to check!

You don't want to trash the engine.

#4 ·
usually an expensive business when a belt fails on a valver.
For the sake of an hour or two's work and 20 quid, id change it right now personally, rather than a huge bill and lots of hassle when the valves hit the pistons.

#5 ·
I took cambelt cover off I I didn't spot anything unusual. The cambelt is not worn out at the edges or so. It is changed before 22000 miles and 6 years ago, and I know it is time for new one, but I need the car for some 200 miles or so.
As for noise, it is not hign pitched as alternator belt (or how it's called). It is just whine like noise, but middle pitched. And it is like this since I have bought a car, so I think I'll take a risk. But, anyway-thanks for advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.