Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Fors and againsts induction kits...

656 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  James_R 
#1 ·
Hello people

I have recently bought an Astra Coupé Turbo and will soon be fitting an EDS phase 2 kit which should give around 250bhp but until then I want a bit extra.

I am going to Santa Pod this Sunday for the first time in this car with my mate who drives an Elise, I know that his book time is 14.8 @ 94mph (120bhp model) and that mine is 15.2 @ 93mph so already there is not a lot in it. he has never done a 1/4 mile before so thats to my advantage as well.

I know that induction kits are not the best modification to do to a road car due to the hot air but I've also been told that it doesn't really matter with a turbo'd car because of the intercooler cooling the air down. All I want to do is fit an induction kit to my car before Sunday so that I can stand a better chance of beating my mate up the strip. I've heard of some people making great power gains from putting an induction kit on their turbo'd motor. Is this true?

#2 ·
It still matters - ambient air temperatures will still affect your performance, so if it takes more warm air in then you will see no benefit - quite the opposite.
However, I still reckon a large cone can be used to good effect if you were to build a cold air box/heatshield for it - I will be trying this out myself sometime.

#5 ·
When your engine hits 6000 rpm it will be breathing in excess of 4000 litres of air a minute, if 1 bar of boost that makes it about 8000, that's a lot of air to squeeze through your airbox, 134 per second in fact.
sounds alot actuall perhaps my sums are wrong but my point is that at that rate of consumption the air consumed doesn't have very long exposed to the heat and isn't as much an isuue as some will say.
do try both and let us know how you got on ;)

#9 ·
you would probably benefit more from fitting a performance panel filter into the original air box, then your not dragging in hot air from the engine bay and you do away with the restriction of the standard air filter.
You will get the best of both worlds i think you will find.

#10 ·
on my mk3 ive got a k&N cone filter and it nvr ran right after that toom uch hot air but, few mods, i took out the black part of the V grille ahich has a blanking part in front of the air intake (why?) so replaced with mesh and then cut pipe to size and length and placed onto the original connector behind grille so that ithe air now runs straight thru the front grille directly into the air filter so i know that when im moving at least the engine is getting cold air and it does make a difference !

#11 ·
If you absolutly have to run a cone filter then the best way is to remote fit it out of the engine bay,
if you wanna go to extremes then cut a nice big whole in the bonnet and have the cone filter sticking out there.

Seeing as you astra is a new purchase you may not want to be cutting wholes in the bonnet.

best and easiest place to remote fit the filter would be in front of the air con condenser near to the botom of the bumper if it will fit in the gap provided.

#13 ·
Run the induction kit with the heradlamp out and try to seal the cone so none of the ehat from the engine bay can get to it, that should help a bit, but can only really help lag of the turbo, less the air box places a restiction on the turbo so it can't get to full boost, but that's not too likely.
Cheat and put tiny wheels on the front of the car, that will help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.