Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

turbo problems

1K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  lee303 
#1 ·
i am considering buying chris wards turbo nova gte.
the problem is that i cannot insure the car, so how hard is it to take the turbo off?
and keep as a standard gte engine untill im 19 after x-mas.
i have spoken to spankee and he said:
i need a gte downpipe, centre section, head gasket set, head bolt set and the rest is just bolt off!
anyone else know anything on the matter and also where is the best place to get the abova parts?

also whats the best cam suited to the 1.6 8v, wanting a fast road cam that will be fine when i put the turbo on next year!

thanks brad

#2 ·
well y dont u wait cause till yr 19 teen cause the xe's and let r differnt compression ratios and thats just the start once u start fooking about with it u may never get it back the same way and really fook the whole thing

#3 ·
payno said:
well y dont u wait cause till yr 19 teen cause the xe's and let r differnt compression ratios and thats just the start once u start fooking about with it u may never get it back the same way and really fook the whole thing
Dawg ya loon, the 1.6 has been converted to a turbo, so XE/LET is irrelevant lmao
As Spankee says TBH mate!

#5 ·
whats the spec of chris wards car?

if the engine is well built and setup than sell the engine and just stick a tuned 1.6 16v or something.

#9 ·
just say u bought it that way n u didnt know,thats what i did with my rwd fiesta hmmm.they just wanted to know why i was sideways at the roundabout :) .dont know what the police are like down south but the ones ive dealt with dont realy bother if u have insurance cover note,tax ect.lol.any way the engine numbers are still the same i presume? so the police cant realy do anything if they do find out which is very unlikley,its just the insurance that causes the prob.but then again u dont want to be doing illegal things.

#10 ·
do as kev says till christmas, and put the turbo back in then.
i've got a Gsi/GTE engine in bits u can take away for £60 if u want it.

#11 ·
should literally be take the head off, remove the laser cut spacer and replace the head, remove manifold with turbo, fit gte manifold/down pipe, block oil feed for turbo and return to sump, then re set fuel pressure to stock. should function like a normal gte then, up to you as to which you'd find easier, i'd swap the engine personally

#16 ·
the reason i want to keep the engine as its been rebuilt, has been lightened and balanced bottom end,
the head is chromed, the rocker cover, and most of the engine bits

this is spankees old car as well
taking the turbo off will take strain off the engine and be easier than swapping engines, and then its easy enough to pop the turbo back on when im 19!

#17 ·
bradfincham said:
this is spankees old car as well
taking the turbo off will take strain off the engine and be easier than swapping engines, and then its easy enough to pop the turbo back on when im 19!

If u take the turbo off it wont run well at all, due to the compression

#19 ·
What manifold n turbo is used on chris wards car?
if u dont want the turbo than i'll buy that kit of u.

#21 ·
no mate, its a standard compression gte with a spacer plate to lower the compression
i could not tell the insurance but im often at southend and the police are checking everything these days!
its an easy job i just wnat to know where to get the downpipe, centre section and head gasket and bolt set?

#22 ·
i'd get the down pipe from performance vauxhall spares center, www.vpscc.com it think, as for the gasket etc i would go to my local autofactors and get them, or you can go to autovaux for them, if you dont use vaux bits get Payen as they are probably the best pattern patrs available, hope this helps:beer:

#25 ·
well..... does anybody know what manifold n turbo is on chris wards car?

was the conversion done by courtenay or was it a DIY job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.