Headlight Bulbs
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headlight Bulbs

MIGWeb User
    Reading, Berkshire
    1380 Mini and Focus

Headlight Bulbs

Last night I replaced the bulbs H4 headlight bulbs in my cav Gsi because the headlights looked a bit dim.

When I removed the existing bulbs I noticed one was a 90/100 watt and one was an 80/100 watt (both of which I think are illegal for road use).

I replaced them with some standard Phillips 55/60 watt bulbs.

The lower wattage bulbs are considerably brighter than the old higher wattage ones. Why would that be???

2. Remove Advertisements

73bhp MK4 Astra POS
    Could be a couple of reasons :

Headlight bulbs can get dimmer with age - especially the high powered ones. The extra heat can discolour the glass over time leading to reduced light output.

More likely - the extra current drain from the higher powered bulbs causes a higher voltage drop in the cable feeding them - double the wattage and double the voltage drop. Its pretty typical to lose up to 2-3 volts in the wiring to the bulbs with normal wattage bulbs - put a 100 watt bulb in and you're almost down to half voltage with some wiring.

I run Osram Silverstar bulbs in the missus fiesta (55/60 watts) and they are much brighter than the standard 55/60 watt bulbs in the cavalier. This is due to the increased xenon gas in the bulb causing the bulbs to glow a lot brighter.

+ Reply to Thread