Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

NOS good or bad?

4K views 123 replies 16 participants last post by  chip 
#1 ·
hi

i was just wondering what the general perception if nitrous oxide was on this site now...
dont get me wrong im not looking for an arguement here i just want to know if the generaql opinion has changed since i and a few others have started to use this mod on the vauxhall engines with increadable results...

so what do you guys say??

NOS is BS power?
NOS will kill my engine?
it doesnt last long enougth?
its not as good as conventional tuneing?
its too expensive?
i dont know enoughth about it therefore i could damage something by fitting it?
i cant insure my car?

or maybe your opinion is.., yes i would fit it in the future

as ive stated i just want to know for my own uses
all opinions will be appreatiated

many thanks, brian

See less See more
#2 ·
NOS is ok, i like teh concept of it, if i had some normal car with less tuning potential than the c20let id use it!!

on the let there are som many options now, ecu's, turbos, bottom end ie rods, pitstons, u name it...id go the non nos route to get reliable power! upto 500 bhp is poss from a let... after that u need to think about cyl blocks craking etc

#3 ·
I used to be very sceptical about it based on horror stories i heard about american kits killing peoples engine.

But a couple of years ago people i know started using the uk manufactured kits with incredable results.

I kept my head in the sand and spent money on every other type of tuning imaginable still instead, ie cams, headwork, fuelling changes, tailored ignition, lightening/balancing, pretty much everything you can do really.

The finally i gave in and though id give it a try and havent looked back since, sadly it is quite expensive to use a lot in terms of the gas, but the results are awesome, no one who has been in the car so far doesnt want a kit of their own at some point, and most of them before they drove it were of the opinion it was a bad idea.

When you 60-100 time drops from 11 seconds to 8 seconds or whatever, it doesnt seem like "fake" power to the subura you just wiped the floor with, LOL lmao

I get the impression that people round here are just not preapred to give it a try though and would prefer to judge based on their own miconceptions having never used it.

Chip

#4 ·
NOS is BS power? No it does clearly work

NOS will kill my engine? Not if the engine parts are upgraded suitably and fuelling/ignition is dealt with

it doesnt last long enough? How long do you want to embarrass someone
its not as good as conventional tuneing? I prefer conventional tuning but would give NOS a go

its too expensive? Bang for pennys spent nope

i dont know enough about it therefore i could damage something by fitting it? That would be my worry
i cant insure my car? Dunno ive never had it fitted

or maybe your opinion is....If the conventional route doesnt do the business will give it ago
lmao

#5 · (Edited)
observer, how does:
lower intake temps
no lag
big increase in power

sound to you?

Thats what you will get from your nitrous on your LET, plus FAR more power for your money than any other mod (well once you already have phase 3 or similar)

Ive got a nova with a LET, 2.1 16v, hybrid turbo, XE cam, ive now got a progrmmable ecu and cossie intercooler to fit as well, that will see me well past 300bhp, but im definately going to add nitrous as well, cause i HATE the amount of lag i get from it, when i nail the throttle i want it to go that instant not a second later when the boost has built up.

Chip

#7 ·
in answer to johns comments - yep definately interested in NOS. but would probably want to strengthen my bottom end before trying it (due to mileage / piece of mind etc)

Any gen on using it purely for anti lag? say only up to 3-3.5k. would this be too much for the lower gears? hard to setup the control of? any real benefit over a progressive controller?

dan

#10 ·
T.F.S. said:

NOS is BS power?
That's my perception, yes. BS in the sense that it only lasts this long and then you're back to stock. If it were something cheap and available everywhere (like distilled water) I wouldn't think twice about it. Hell, if you could refill at petrol stations it would be nice. But you can't - so if you want to go to Scotland (or France or whatever) you can't rely on the thing.
NOS will kill my engine?
If you're not careful, yes, I would think so
it doesnt last long enougth?
Not nearly. 100+bhp shots are soooo much fun that I bet a bottle wouldn't last longer than half a tankful
its not as good as conventional tuneing?
It's a complement to conventional tuning, not really meant to substitute it
its too expensive?
Yes - at least in rip-off UK
i cant insure my car?
Well you can, but if you have an accident and there are indications that you were using NOS, I'm not 100% sure they would pay out
or maybe your opinion is.., yes i would fit it in the future
I don't think I would fit one, because I like driveable, street cars - and having to refill the damn bottle every other day doesn't help 'streetability' in my definition of the word

However, if I were to build a car with a view to good quarter-mile times, there's no question that I'd go for a 150+ progressive system. It just complements turbos so well, that it's a crime NOT to use it on the strip.

...Just my 2p, as my signature speaks for itself lmao

:beer:

#12 ·
Not_Too_Fast! said:
in answer to johns comments - yep definately interested in NOS. but would probably want to strengthen my bottom end before trying it (due to mileage / piece of mind etc)

Any gen on using it purely for anti lag? say only up to 3-3.5k. would this be too much for the lower gears? hard to setup the control of? any real benefit over a progressive controller?

dan

Works great as antilag, just fit a 25bhp kit and use a pressure switch to turn it off as soon as you hit about half a bar of boost (at which point the lag is pretty much gone anyway)

It reduces lag for two reasons, firstly it adds power instantly anyway, so you get an instant throttle response, secondly it increase the amount of exhaust gasses, so a turbo that would normally spin up at 3K rpm will now do so at 2500rpm or whatever.

As its only ever on for a second or two at a time it will last bloody ages too, if you then want it as a power boost too sometimes, simply put a switch to stop the pressure switch from cutting it.

With regards to the comments about running out, thats not an issue at all if you get a refill bottle at home, TFS can refill his bottle 7 times (he uses a big 11lb bottle) off one refill bottle, so its months in between needing to get another fill, try storing two months worth of fuel at home in one go though!

Chip

G
#14 ·
Nos will only be on when you are at ful throttle,

Time how long you are at full throttle for and I bet over a quick race its only 5-15 secs.

A bottle of nos will last around 30 minutes so thats a long time (And not every other day)

My mate has been running 75 bhp jets for 10 months now on his vectra 2.5 sri and uses it every day and the nos quite offten too.

He has had to fill his bottle up once (£40 for a refill) so the 'average' person running 50 bhp jets it would probably last atleast 4-6 months.

#15 ·
lee, those figures seem VERY optimistic, he must have a hug bottle in there!

I can happily do a 5lb bottle in a single evening, but then i can happily do 30 quid in fuel too, so its all relative.

Chip

#16 ·
Just been reading that old thread, interesting to see how people were saying you could only run 25bhp or the ignition would need retarding, both of which now everyone on here pretty much knows to be a nonsense.

Shows how much of a "black art" it used to be considered (and still is by some people i guess)

Chip

#19 ·
In the ones im doing a group buy for you get a choice of 5lb or 11lb, its 50 quid extra for the 11lb though.

I dont sell them though myself, im just a punter, im not linked to wizards of nos at all, other than just being a hapy customer.

TFS i think is actaully involved in some way with the company, but im sure he can fill you in on that.

Chip

#20 ·
hi chip

yep, its the old "i used a big shot single hit kit and blew the lump" reply
of course it really does not apply to the new types of progressive systems that are now avaliable on the market

john
you think we need to retard after my 18month test?
do you think my engine failure was brought forward by lack of retard or more due to the fact that the engine had covered 100.000miles and had a serious lack of compression on more than 1 cylinder?

kind regards, brian

#21 ·
JohnA, what do you mean about the igntion?

On a LET you dont need to retard it because the cooling effect cancels out the increased combustion chamber pressures in terms of risking detonation, and anyway you can run it a bit rich with the jetting to use the fuel as a detonation supressant.

On an XE though, if you have lots of nitrous going in it would be worthwhile knocking it back, i was thinking of putting a switch on the knock sensor as that retards it about 7 or 8 degrees or something if its not connected i believe.

Chip

#22 ·
TFS

you engine died because of a number of factors, if you had used some retard then it would have lasted longer, but not by much, i dont believe it was detonating anyway, except possibley at very lows revs as you were using it a little lower down that i would be keen to myself.

Chip

#23 ·
chip

im just the same as yourself in the way that i have no financeial intrest in highpower
i sell gas refills in the kent area but thats as far as it goes

tell you what though, i wouldnt mind buying a few shares in that company!!

best regards, brian

#24 ·
i know what you mean, as more and more people are cataching on they are finally going to be making a lot of money after 20 years or more or less running at a loss in real terms (in that trev would have earnt far more just working as an engineer for someone else)

Chip

#25 ·
well as a person who wasn't really looking for a powerful car due to the costs of tuning i think Nitrous is perfect for my application.

I don't drive like a loon much and tbh on the road 150-170 ish is enough to play with in a nova.

But I would like to be competitive at 1/4 mile days.

TBH it's more advantageous to FWD cars.

IE trying to launch a 300bhp nova turbo off the line can be a struggle.

Launching with 170BHP then introducing up to another 100bhp when the tyres have grip sounds like a much better idea to me.

So basically I get a useable, reasonable,driveable road car that will still be competitive when I want it to be.

ps: talking about next engine not the sorry state of a 1.4 currently in it lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.