Turbo convertion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turbo convertion

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Sport 1995

Turbo convertion

I was wondering if anyone could tell me as well as the turbo what else would I need to convert my MK3 1.8 astra sport (ecotech) to a turbo I'm thinking of using parts from the LET engine is this possible?

Any help would be appreciated amny thanks
    Richard

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    GTE 16v Turbo
    What do you mean apart from the turbo? Was your intention to get just a turbo and bolt it on?

If so, its alot more complicated than that. Its better to get an entire turbo engine and replace yours with it. Things like your pistons would need to be changed if you kept your engine.
    Contemplating lots of things

Astra GTE Turbo - Link Now Working

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Sport 1995
    Well I know you have the turbo, dump valve, front pipe that will be needed to be changed but I wasn't sure on other things like wireing loom ecu cams?

I can get the labour done cheap as I know a couple of Machanics but I wanted to know what would be involved things like new pistons.

The LET engine is 4x4 how could put this into my car as it is FWD?
    Where could I get one from and how much would it cost?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra GSI V6, V
    As cemesis said it would be easier and far cheaper to stick a C20LET turbo lump straight into yours, even if you do have the people to do the job.

Trying not to be too harsh but best to get rid of the ecos**t engine all together.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    GTE 16v Turbo
    There are lots of differences between the Turbo engine and its N/A friends. Things like oil routed for the turbo, different pistons, manifold, ECU and wiring loom and a few other things.

The LET engine itself isn't 4WD, its just an engine. The Gearbox (called an F28) is 4WD but can be converted to 2WD for £100.

You can get one from wherever sells one, there are sometimes some advertised on here, or from a scrap yard.

You could turbo your engine as it stands but you wouldn't be able to turn the boost up very much and it wouldn't feel like much of an improvement.
    Contemplating lots of things

Astra GTE Turbo - Link Now Working

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    converting the 1.8 would cost a bomb. everything would have to be custom made as theres no parts bin to delve into. 1.8 pistons are 81.6mm for starters, LET are 86. dont think the LET exhaust manifold will fit the ecotecs.

maybe the newer astra coupe/zafira Z20LET engine would be a better starting point. but then there wont be any second hand stuff kicking around cause its fairly new.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Sport 1995
    cheers this gives me something to think about

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra GTE 2.0 8V Tur
    well, if the exhaust manifold of C20Let can fit in your Ecotec, don´t will be complex.
    You can running in your fuel injection system. Only put the exhaust manifold and turbo of C20Let. And make a line of pressure in steel pipes. You will need to a adjustable fuel pressure regulator, blow-off valve and more flow injectors(the flow of injectors will depend the pressure in turbo that you will run).
    You will connect the wastgate of turbo in the line of pressure, will connect the AFPR in line of pressure too, and the blow-off you will install in the line of pressure the valve, but the hose you will connect in the inlet manifold, after TB.
    I can sell to you any parts that you will need for this turbo conversion.

cheers,

+ Reply to Thread