Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Twin Turbo V6...cooling

3K views 79 replies 18 participants last post by  Animal 
#1 ·
Hi gang....i need some advice ;)
Im part way into stripping down and upgrading a cally V6 engine which is going in to a GTE. I have 2 T3 garrett turbos and a good friend that can make up the exuast manifolds for me to fit the turbos on each bank...the problem im going to have is the turbo that is at the rear of the engine will get ruddy hot..will one of the bonnet scoops work ok or will i have to introduce some type of air flow mod to the engine bay?

cheers :beer:

#77 ·
Putting the turbo over the gear box is one plan i have had...lots of work to be done on the exhaust out-lets to make them meet up with the turbo in-let, i was thinking of this last night it should be ok to get all of the exhaust pipes the same length and i have a load of space over the gear box..(move battery to boot)...the nos is going to be used and i think i can source a control unit that has a slow release at low revs..i will run up a design for the exhaust piping and put it on her later...cheers guys.:beer:

#78 ·
Hi Gang.
Right im back on the case with the turbo v6, i had a few weeks off due to my mum passing away with cancer and i need to really get down to some serious work on the car.
As it stands the V6 2.5 is striped down and the following work has been started:

3lt cams all round
new gaskets all round (metal for heads)
cool flow stat
F20 gear box and flywheel

Need to get some strenthed rods and bolts...any idears?

The garrett t3 is going over the gear box...some nice fabricated exhust manifolds are being made up by me and the girlfriends dad.

The Nitros system has been orderd from www.noswizard.com with the slow release system to aid the spool up of the turbo at low revs and to help keep the block a bit cooler.

car has been striped of everything and rear arches have been cut out and front arches fabricated in ther place...total sand down (in and out) all holes sealed and welded all seams. should be ready for the spray end of month.

Im trying to get my web site finished for the end of this week so i can put the photos on from when i got the car to finish.

Also Billing was good guys...it cheered me up seeing some of you there on the friday, i heard that animal was going, sorry i missed you mate...will have to meet up when the cars are done.

#80 ·
I'm very sorry to hear about your Mum. :(

I've been looking into the rod situation, it's sumarised here http://www.valvers.com/v6/x30xe.html . the 3.0L has different rods to the 2.5, and the 2.5 is stronger due to a shorder stroke. I've had a few more ideas about getting round the 3.0L's weaknesses, but i need to do some more research before I know if it'll work.

If you're turboing the v6, I'd put the mildest cams you can find into the engine, keep the overlap as small as is practical.

Oh, and are you opening the books on how long the f20'll last? lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.