Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Redtop???

2K views 54 replies 10 participants last post by  Steve T 
#1 ·
I am thinking about buying an L-reg GSi and i had a look under the bonnet and it has and enguine that looks like my echotech (black and silver) but the black spark plug cover is red?

Does any one know what this enguine is??

Unfortunately i dont have a pic.

Steve

#5 ·
if its like this with the L shape spark plug cover it'll be a XE...

If it looks like this then its an ecotec (saids on the spark plug cover)...

it will be the XE if its a redtop and a 1.8 16v gsi which meens it has 125Bhp. 0-60 in 9.6seconds.

#8 ·
In that case, its probably the Ecotec X18XEV engine.
These were used in the change over period, so some 1.8 GSI's have them and some dont.

It probably wont say Ecotec on the cover, not all Ecotecs do.
Mine doesnt either, but there is some confusion because some Retops actually had plug covers which stated Ecotec as well, despite them not being so. lmao lmao lmao

Basically, and correct me if im wrong anyone, but if the cover is L shaped, its an XE, and a straight cover is Ecotec.

All Ecotecs as far as im aware are also dizzyless, and dont have the same SFI box as the XE's do.

#14 ·
My 1.8 ecotec is a C18XE in a Cesaro 1994.

Pic here:http://www.miket.dsl.pipex.com/images/I~000022ecotec.jpg

It doesnt have the extra egr gubbins fed into the exhaust manifold.

I wish I could find a 4 branch for it as the 20xe one apparently doesnt fit, I think it would give it quite a boost in breathing along with a cat removal;)

Seems there were 3 versions of the 1.8 16v since 94?, Cesaro and CDX had 1.8 125bhp, Some GSI had 125bhp and I am told some Sport and GSI had only 115bhp 1.8 engines.

Here is my 1.8 Cesaro.

http://www.miket.dsl.pipex.com/images/I~000023red.jpg

And the Diamond black 1.6 one for sale.

http://www.miket.dsl.pipex.com/images/I~000024black.jpg

#19 ·
astramod said:
You are right there Oddball.
Just had a look through some archive photos i had, and the C18XEL did indeed appear to have a straight plug cover.
No reason to think the C18XE was any different.
where did you see them?? i have been looking on the net for pic of the c18xe and c18xel but cant find any.

#22 ·
The 1.8 16v astra gsi's have a red straight plug cover with vauxhall written on it. if its black it is a 2ltr and will have ecotec written on it.

Another way to tell if its a 1.8 is no electric mirrors, no fog lights, and no traction control.

MikeT said:
My 1.8 ecotec is a C18XE in a Cesaro 1994.

I wish I could find a 4 branch for it as the 20xe one apparently doesnt fit, I think it would give it quite a boost in breathing along with a cat removal;)

Lexmaul do one for the c18xe. Been very tempted myself......!

#25 ·
astramod said:
Cav-Jay, what is that pipe running along the front of the Ecotec picture ?
Clipped to that metal V shaped thing on the heatshield ?

Just curious
:)
Havnt got a clue mate, its my brothers (stemon) engine.

dont you think its possable that the cover on this ecotec your on about has been painted red? or do some come red:confused: int got a clue but if its a straight plug cover then its a ecotec at the end of the day:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.