Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Will a Superchip give smoother running?

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  trebor 
#1 ·
My car is far from a smooth drive. I have been in other cars with my engine (Cav GSI) which have superchips, and the ride is far smoother. I know that superchips do not necassarily give a performance increase, but do they guarantee a smoother drive? Has anyone noticed this after getting a superchip? Before anyone recommends the unichip please bear in mind I am only after a smoother ride, and not too interested in bhp increase.

#3 ·
Well it used to kangaroo a hell of a lot until I did the "breather mod". Now it's just a bit jolty on gear change, and backing off the gas. I do have a cone filter if that is to blame. i wondered about superchips cause they claim to give smoother running throughout the gears. It's not really that much of a problem, it's just a bit annoying compared to my mates cars.

#7 ·
I was talking to the bloke at the local tuning place about superchips. When I described the jerky overrun of my 8v engine he said "fuel cut of valve, superchip will fix that". I assume that he is referring to the way that the ECU cuts of most of the fuel when it detects near engine idle. Maybe superchips have refined it a bit.
As to your problem, I wouldn't expect a chip to be the whole story.

#20 ·
its one of those little gimmiky plastic things that actually works. it bleeds in a small amount of air from the brake servo vacuum pipe back into the plenum. this air is filtered in in bursts to make it turbulent. turbulent air mixes looooads better with stuff like petrol and so the burn is more efficient. it also alleviates a small amount of pressure from the top end as a byproduct hence if cured my slight kangarooing and i presume why the engine braking can be affacted, but mine wasnt noticibly different.
www.cleanburn.co.uk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.