Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Throttle body install day 2

587 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Matheus428 
#1 ·
Ran into a few snags today. I had a bit of a wrestle with the fuel hoses to get the old crimps off to allow the new hose on. Then when I went to fit the throttlebodies they wouldn’t fit on the head! I thought it was the alternator that was the problem, as you have to relocate it slightly, so after a struggle with the automatic drivebelt tensioner the alternator was out. The bodies still wouldn’t fit however. It seems as it the holes for the head studs were just a touch out and I had to take a small circular file to the holes to enlarge them slightly. Then the brake servo hoses fouled the coolant hoses below the inlet manifold and it took ages to get that resolved. The fuel injectors also fouled the head and had to be rotated to allow the throttle bodies to fit. After all that lot the throttle bodies were on and I was knackered.

I then took a while getting the throttle linkage sorted out. Originally the throttles were not closing properly which would have made for an interesting time driving! Now they seem fine. My air filter also wouldn’t fit properly and I had to modify the backplate slightly, and the air filter also fouls the header tank so I will have to relocate the tank (I had an idea this was going to happen anyway).

However that is probably the worst over (I hope) and with any luck the car will be running tomorrow. I still have the electrics to sort out and mount the fuel pressure regulator and coil pack.

By the way does anyone know if the standard DIS coil pack is compatible with MBE. There was a new valeo coil with my kit, but if I could use the old coil pack it would free up some space in the engine bay for the header tank. It looks like the same connectors on both, but I don’t know if the internals are different, and I don’t want to damage the ECU.

Cheers guys, hopefully I will have a running car tomorrow. Here are some pictures of the engine as it is at the moment.

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah mate, the management is all set up for DIS as the car was DIS to start with, it has never had a distributor. So I will be OK to use the standard DIS pack for the moment. This will make relocating the header tank much easier as I can put it where I was going to put the new coil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.