Day 1 of the throttlebody install. Here is the standard engine before any modification along with the throttle bodies waiting to be installed.
I though that the best course of action was to remove as much as possible from the engine bay to improve access, so our came the battery, battery tray, scuttle panel and the splash plate underneath, header tank and airbox as well as the dreaded secondary air pump. With that lot gone it was much easier to see what was going on.
Now that terrible inlet manifold. The top section came off OK but the bottom section was much harder as access to the nuts is not good, and they were quite stiff so a ring spanner wouldn’t shift them, had to use a torque wrench and a universal joint along with various extension bars. All the emissions gubbins are off now, as well as about 200 wiring multiplugs to various parts. I had problems with the air intake pipe which runs round the back of the engine. I had to use a bit of a bodge involving mole grips to move one of the bolts, and then had to get quite aggressive with the pipe to shift it but in the end I got there. The engine looks a lot smaller with all that out of the way, and access to the engine bay is much better. Here is the stripped down engine.
I then removed the old engine loom and ECU which came out fine once the spiders web of connections were removed. The engine bay is now ready for the throttle body install which I will start tommrrow.
A bit of advice for anyone thinking of doing any work to this engine (X16XE). Make sure you have a full set of external and internal torx sockets as well as torx spanners. There are hundreds of these fiddly torx bolts all over the engine and it is easy to chew then up if you don’t have the right tool, like someone had done to the throttle body mounting bolts on my car. Luckily they still came out OK with the correct torx attachment.
Hopefully the throttle bodies will be on tomorrow, and the car running in a couple of days. Watch this space.