My clutch needs replacing. Anyone know where in Merseyside or the North West I will get one fitted, at a reasonable price?
I also need a tune-up, as the car 'judders' regularly, particularly immediately after changing up every gear and accelerating. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? I am certain this is NOT clutch judder, and is a problem with the fuel or ignition.
My temperature gauge isn't working. How do I rectify this, what part do I need etc? Thanks
Finally, the speedo, rev counter etc, has a standard black 'facia', which is perishing, and needs replacing. How on earth do I get it out?. I need to know this to get a replacement from a scrappy, and stick it on mine whist keeping my mileage current.
Oh my mileage is 130000, but the apart from the above, the car is perfectomundo, with mint bodywork!!
> I have just bought a 1991 2.0 16v Calibra -
> My clutch needs replacing.
Your in luck, that year means you have a flat-type flywheel fitted in your F20 gearbox which means they can change the clutch without removing the gearbox = saving on labour.
You should be able to get a new clutch for < £100 for your C20XE if you look around. Most are recon clutchs anyway, rarly new anymore.
> I also need a tune-up, as the car 'judders' regularly
When was the car had a good complete service?
Do the following
1) new panel filter, ensure all jubilee clips on the air pipe from the air box up to the throttle body (under the SFi box) are done, don't want ANY air leaks in this.
2) clean off the black diposts in the throttle body and butterflap flap with a can of carb cleaner (£4).
3) you may want a new oxygen sensor (OS) as they start to die as they get old, about £60 from www.autovaux.co.uk (VX dealer = £120!)
4) remove the breather pipes from the back of the rocker cover (2 off) and clean out with carb cleaner
5) clean the ISCV if you can, see my guide http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/iscv/iscv.htm
6) fit a new dizzy cap and rotatr arm and check spark plug gaps, if not just buy new ones.
7) check that you don't have the GF50 idle wheel on your car, if you do change it NOW!
8) how old is the batteyr, 3-4 years old? If so get a new one (I use a Cav diesel battery from Halfords for about £55 in my Calibra).
> My temperature gauge isn't working.
this is a small 1-pin/spade temp gague sender bolted into the thermstat housing, see pic below
Check that the one wire spade connector hasn't fallen off (very common), otherwise a new one should be about £5 (autovaux)
> Finally, the speedo, rev counter etc, has a standard black 'facia',
Buy the Haynes book, it tells you how to remove it, I can do mine in under 10min now But you could fit white dial kit from Lockwood, that way you don't have to worry about the milage if fitting another 2nd hand clock set in there.
Your advice was much appreciated and I am getting a few of those problems including the clutch sorted this week.
The temperature sensor has now been replaced and the gauge is still not working properly. Even when the engine has obviously warmed up, say after 40 miles!!!, the needle moves no more than a couple of millimetres.
I have now also noticed that the blowers, when set on maximum heat, are only slightly warm, even after say 40 miles. Could the temperature sensor and the low heat from the blowers be related? Please advise. (you are talking to someoen who is not mechanically minded, and doesn't want to get ripped off in a garage!)