Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

engine conversion in cabrio?

322 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Colonel K 
#1 ·
I currently have a mk2 1.6 carb astra and am looking to maybe fit a C20XE into it. I have a very good mechanic able to help me (hopefully) but im not sure what problems i might run into with the cabrio, if the bay will have to be strengthened etc? The brakes have already been upgraded but im just looking for things that might pop up that i never thought of, i.e. engine mounts etc? will i need the clutch from the GTE as well?

any advice would be much appreciated thanks

#2 ·
You will need the XE clutch and gear box, the engine mounts should be the same for all of the big block engines so if yours are in good nick they should be up to the job.

#3 ·
>>>>if the bay will have to be strengthened etc?

I doubt it. Cabrios have to be strengthened from the factory anyway, and factor in the fact that the C20XE was put in the Mk2 Astra GTE I dont forsee any strength problems.

>>>>>i.e. engine mounts etc?
use the engine mounts from the 2.0 engine. Since this engine is put into the car as standard then it wont be a problem. BTW, do you know if ur 1.6 is the old big block or newer small block unit??

>>>>>will i need the clutch from the GTE as well?
you will have to change the gearbox to the 2.0 as well so yes will need the clutch and you may have to mess around with driveshafts. My Mk3 1.6 Cavlier has different driveshafts to the 2.0 because it uses the small block engine.
An easy way round would be to source some Astra 2.0 struts as a whole. Thats if yours has the small block. I should imagine that it has.

Should be quite simple really. dont think anything will surprise you.

Dont forget you will need an injection fuel pump and possibly an injection fuel tank. That will be a bit of an arse. Other than that! Wahey!

What gearbox do you have in there ATM??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.