Refitting the valves
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Refitting the valves

Drives
    Most days

Arrow Refitting the valves

Rebuilding my head at the moment.
    Removed the valves and had the head cleaned up at work.
    Do I need to lap the valves back in ?
    I have labeled them up in the order I removed them so do I have to bother ?
    If so, how do you do it ?

Cheers,

Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    make sure the head is clean and free from swarf (if youve had any machining done)

You can buy lapping paste and lapping sticks from halfords. Usually consists of two pots of paste, one course, one fine. The lapping stick has rubber suckers on the end, lick and stick that to the valve head, smear a bit of course paste round the valve seat, slide the valve home and then start rotating the stick/valve between your hands (back and fourth, back and fourth) Do that until your hands bleed, then clean it off and repeat with fine paste.

You can of course improvise with how you reciprocate the valve, i think on 8v heads you can actually get a drill on the cam end of the valve stem, then just whizz them in the drill lifting the valve every few seconds.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    2.0 16v Astra GTE
    Originally posted by 0ddball
    You can of course improvise with how you reciprocate the valve, i think on 8v heads you can actually get a drill on the cam end of the valve stem, then just whizz them in the drill lifting the valve every few seconds.
    Take rubber sucker off stick and put on the head of a suitable sized bolt, put bolt in drill chuck, stick sucker on valve in normal way..... Just make sure you lift up the valve enough as you drill. If your drill can reverse go forwards, lifting, backwards lifting.
    Veni,Vidi,Scubi

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    the car in front
    Identify the valve seats first.
    Lap until the seats are nice and round.
    If you lap too much, the valves will be seated way back. not good.

the intake valves may not need coarse paste at all.
    only use coarse paste if you can see pitting or defects on the seat. Easy on the paste, it eats up the seats!lmao lmao

Drives
    Most days
    Cheers for that lads.

Paul

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    various
    Bin the coarse paste unless your heads crap and the valves are knakced cos you shouldn't need to use it. If you do get the valves and seats recut. If the place is any good you shouldn't need to grind at all.

Anyway using the the fine paste do what the lads said. When you get a nice matt colour even ring aroudn the seat then it should be sealing perfectly.

Drill method speeds it up, and saves the blisters doing 16V's but you can get over eager.

Chris
    I don't give a p-h-u-k whatcha gotta say!

+ Reply to Thread