Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Dizzy for XE Carb conversion

813 views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Mart 
#1 ·
Hi there.

I have been offered an as-new dizzy from a Mk2 1.6 Cav (big block I believe) for a good price.

I believe this is what I need for my conversion.

What I want to know is.... will this fit my XE (converting it to carbs)??

As I know there are two different types of fitting on the cam or something??

I have a Coscast Headed one from an Early (88/89) GTE if that helps.

Pics...

Cheers.

M

BTW, before anyone says get a mappable ign setup I dont have the cash!!

See less See more
#3 ·
looks about right to me.

I bought my engine with the carbs on it and the dizzy looked exactly like that, & I've heard it's the MkII cav dizzy. Fittings onto head & into cam look right.

Don't pay more than a drink for it - unless you wanna pay over the odds just cos it's new looking. - These things are littered around the scrappies.

#4 ·
its got my vote. Ive obviously never done the conversion myself, but every guide or thread ive read, early 1.8 or 1.6 dizzy is the topic of discussion.

I presume the associated coil pack and wiring is included, otherwise you are no better of than the standard XE dizzy.

That blue connector is the optical sensor for the cam lobes inside the dizzy, mk2 cavs used this is instead of the old fashioned points breaker.

are there any part numbers on it starting 90, caould then double check in EPC for you.

#6 ·
Why bother

£100 buys you a used old Formula Vaux Lotus MBE system, with correct Advance curve(well better than the Cav one I reckon)
7250 rev limit, does not use Dizzy pickup and utilises original coil etc. I actually got a coil with my kit which I didn't need.

Well happy with my sys for what it is.

I can send you the guys email address if you want, Ace customer service as well.

Davv

#13 ·
Yes this is the correct dizzy. Just use with with the small bit of wiring and the amp (and a coil) from a cav 1.6 aswell.

I picked up an OMEX rev limiter from a rally spares place for £25 which completes the job.

Just leave the vacuum advance off, as I was told that this is not needed, as with 45's its all or nothing!

#15 ·
davv said:
Why bother

£100 buys you a used old Formula Vaux Lotus MBE system, with correct Advance curve(well better than the Cav one I reckon)
7250 rev limit, does not use Dizzy pickup and utilises original coil etc. I actually got a coil with my kit which I didn't need.

Well happy with my sys for what it is.

I can send you the guys email address if you want, Ace customer service as well.

Davv
and that came with the appropriate dizzy yeah?? as mine doesnt have any at all at the mo?

Hmmm.... options.

#16 ·
Mart said:
As said it`s the correct one for the job.

I`ve put my vacuum advance on.

Lol at 7250rpm my cams won`t be on song at that revslmao, i`m gonna set mine to 7800rpm.

Mart.
same - there would b no point me having a 7250 limit - if its mappable then that would b ok as the cams will come later but if not their aint alot of point :(

whats the rev limit on the cav dizzy setup?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.