Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Help!

568 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Topbuzz 
#1 ·
I've just bought a Cavalier SRi 16v (L reg). The car is generally in good condition, but the Cam went on it a few months ago and has been sitting around since then.

I am assuming it will need at least a new cam and head to get it working again. The car has done 103k miles. But does anyone know how much to expect to pay for the parts. Or would it be just as easy and cheap to buy a new engine for it?

And if you have any ideas where's best to get any parts from, that would also help. Preferably in the Essex area.

Cheers.:)

#3 ·
Cam belt?

A snapped camshaft is a rare one.

If it didn't go too bad you can just stick a new belt on and hope for the best.
If not you'll have to take the head off and check all the valves and guides and replace as needed. Pistons may need some dents taking out of them.

Autovaux 01924 376003 are good for parts.

#4 ·
Sorry I should have made myself clearer, it's the cam belt that snapped. The bloke who had the car before said he thought it's gone into the head and more than likely bent some valves.

But no-one has actually looked at it yet, so it's all speculation. Im just trying to get some ideas of cost's to start with.

A friend has spoken to one of his mechanic pals who reckons that Vauxhalls have a valve clearance, so the vlaves could be ok. But I dont know how true this is?

I wont be doing the work myself, I have a couple of mates who are mechanics that can do the work for me, when I know whats wrong.

Anyway thanks for all your help.

#5 ·
> I am assuming it will need at least a new cam and head to
> get it working again

How fast (RPM) was you going when it snapped?

On my C20XE the water pump seized up and the jumped a few teeth = pistons hit the valves. I was only in 1st gear pulling away from a roundabout, hence about 1000-1200 RPM

After taking the head off and now apart it seems only the exhasut valves (all 8) are bent

The 8 inlets look ok.
The pistons (crowns) look ok too, just seems a lot of diposts on them , proably on impact it shock it free and fell down onto the pistons.

Costs:
I was quoted £35 for a set (8 off) valves from www.autovaux.co.uk, thats same for C20XE inlet or outlet. In the end I bought 16 2nd hand ones for £25 (only done a few hundred miles).

Then you need 16 new valve stem oil seals
New cam shaft oil seal x 2
New cam shaft timing bolt x 2
New head bolts x 10
New gaskets (get the gasket kit works out cheaper in bulk)
New rollers, cam belt, fan belt, tensioner and water pump
New inlet/exhaust manilfd gaskets
New bottom crank pulley bolt E20

I've just orded all mine off Autovaux for my C20LET head, it came to £177 (ex VAT & delivery) = £210 odd (minus valves of course, I didn't need them for the C20ET rebuild)

#7 ·
A friend has spoken to one of his mechanic pals who reckons that Vauxhalls have a valve clearance, so the vlaves could be ok. But I dont know how true this is?
If its a C20XE/C20LET engine then I'm afraid contact HAS happned. They are 'interferance' engines.

You can't see if clearly from this pic but the crowns (my C20XE engine) have very little 'pockets' so the valves can hit the pistons.

Oddly the smaller powered engines (Ie 1.6L Nova GTE engines E16SE) are 'non-interferance' engines which means they have deep pockets on the crowns which make it impossible for valves to hit pistons. So its a 'safe' engine.

#8 ·
dont think the cut outs are to allow interferance tbh - they shouldnt contact - otherwise u wouldnt b able to increase cam lift/duration which u can

any piston valve contact at 7000rpm ish would not be a good thing

but as u say contact will have more than likely occured

#10 ·
Thanks for all of your help. I have found out some more info on the car, it is a 2.0l SRi (non ecotech) 150BHP.

Whether that makes much difference to what you have already said I don't know.

I've only just bought the car to fix and sell at the moment, so I wasnt driving it at the time when it all happened. But I understand that the previous owner had pulled up at some lights, then when he pulled away thats when it all went wrong.

Thanks again for all your help.:)

#12 ·
Your engine code will be a C20XE

C = Cat
20 = 2 litre
X = high compression (10-11 or something)
E = Petrol fuel injection

LET is the turbo charged version of your engine.

Also check the valve guides for cracks from the valve bending. These will have to be replaced where needed.

#13 ·
> One other thing, what do C20XE/C20LET mean,

see my guide at
http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/engine_codes/engine_codes.htm

It sounds like you have a C20XE

C20XE = 2L 16v 'red-top'
C20LET = 2L 16v red-top but with Turbo.

To find which one you have, look for the engine number stamped on the block. Look at the front where the oil dipstick is, look at the base of it and where the gearbox bell housing is, there is a log thin ridge of metal. The engine number is stamped there and also the engine code (ie for you it will be C20XE 14xxxxx).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.