Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Astra GSi Turbo 4x4

2K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  JasonM 
#1 ·
I was looking at a old Max Power DVD "The Beasts unleashed", and there was a lad called Gary Taylor from Jersey, and he had a astra running 4x4, does anybody know any more about this sort of conversion or who i could contact. Cheers! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

#7 ·
Andy K said:
Well if your that pig headed that you must have an astra rather than a cav and are going to put 350BHP+ in it then it is worth while to get some of that power on the road.

It was done by courtney.
Hope you were being sarcastic :rolleyes: (again).

The main reason for the 4x4 being pointless is because it makes the car slower, its useful for grip and heavy turns but straight line stuff which we all do the vast majority of the time, it is slower once you pass the first 60ft.

#17 ·
In the wet the 4x4 would be faster. (P.S It rains alot in the UK)

There is much more fun to be had by applying power to wet roads than spinning wheels which seem to give weird max power type people a cheap thrill.

"Ow I can spin in 4th gear etc etc" Not a good thing !

There is no point having grip way past the start line if the start is so unless.

#20 · (Edited)
Look Scott, you have completely the wrong mentality;
;)
If you can't spin the wheels in the first 3 gears on a car with a mediocre front drive chassis, then you really don't have enough power!:D

With in excess of 300bhp, only in a straight line could the front driver be quicker, and it still has to get traction first.
These cars (astras, cavs, calibras, even novas) just don't have the means to handle that much power.
Throw in a few corners, a wet or even slightly less than perfect grip surface (read racetrack), and a 300+bhp 4wd astra would walk all over a 300+bhp front drive astra.

Edited to add, (before the NA nutters get hold of this!) that I was really talking turbo bhp with the similar or higher torque figues as it is the surge of torque that causes the trouble.

#21 ·
Andy K said:
In the wet the 4x4 would be faster
Agreed

Andy K said:
(P.S It rains alot in the UK)
I know :(

Andy K said:
"Ow I can spin in 4th gear etc etc" Not a good thing !
I know, I hate spinning 4th gear in the wet :mad:

Andy K said:
There is no point having grip way past the start line if the start is so unless.
Theres also little point in having 4x4 after the start line where its just dead weight for the rest of the run ;)

LEE69 said:
Of course the grip is increased if it stops the wheels from spinning.I swear by mine,tried driving in wet without it,massive difference.
It doesn't increase grip, the engine can't increase grip, only the tyres can. It reduces power and means that grip is re-established but it over compensates alot I'm told.

#22 ·
Tim_P said:
Mr Cemesis, never thought I would be able to say this to you, but.. don't knock it til you're tried it ;) :p
I think its great in the Cav, I just like to stir. The topic was originally 4x4 in an Astra which although I think sounds cool I doubt it would be worthwhile in practice, sort of defeats what the GTE is best at - scaring you ;) Remember the fear Tim? Remember ;) :p

Russ said:
Look Scott, you have completely the wrong mentality;
;)
If you can't spin the wheels in the first 3 gears on a car with a mediocre front drive chassis, then you really don't have enough power!
But I can do that :)

Russ said:
With in excess of 300bhp, only in a straight line could the front driver be quicker, and it still has to get traction first.
But here in 'not Scotland' we drive in straight lines 95% of the time, so that means the 2WD Astra is faster than the 4x4 Astra 95% of the time ;)

Russ said:
Throw in a few corners, a wet or even slightly less than perfect grip surface (read racetrack), and a 300+bhp 4wd astra would walk all over a 300+bhp front drive astra.
So you mean round a track? Yeah, the 4x4 might well win around a track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.