Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

URGENT - 20LET info Needed

833 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Nova_Turbo 
#1 ·
What year was "DIS" ignition intoduced on the turbo? and at the same time did they intoduce the plastic pullys and V-Belt alternator/power steering pump?
Also were there any other differences when they changed to "DIS"?? COSCAST head?
Is the BHP the same on all Turbos?
Is the pre "DIS" better?

Cheers for the help
Ste/Rob

#2 ·
Not sure about the DIS ignition system but all Turbos have the same standard 204BHP and 206.5lb/ft. As far as can be seen so far, it appears all C20LET's were COSCAST heads.

TBH, AndyK/Russ would be your best bet with the other stuff :rolleyes:

Spent the last months studying the 4WD (its amazing how much crap is floating around concerning the 4WD system) and only learning general engine stuff. Havent gotten into it much tho which is what I am about to do :D

#4 · (Edited)
The M2.8 ECU is the one with the DIS module. (other things changed like AMM)

The DIS is more reliable and maintenance free (which would be good on a turbo) but when it goes wrong it's costly)

Plastic pulleys on L reg on so no GSi's should have them.

See link below

Not sure how accurate this is ? Maybe you can revise it for me ?

http://www.akirwan.freeserve.co.uk/akfiles/spec.doc

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. We were after the info cos we've had just been to see a front stuffed Calibra turbo on an L plate.
When I phoned yesterday he said the oil was pissing everywere when they tryed to start it cos the oil cooler was split. Me and Ste turned up this morning armed with a spare oil cooler. after jacking the engine up (O/S mount collasped) started it up and after the first 10 seconds of tappet noise there was just a loud squeel from the turbo:( left the ticking over for 5 mins but the sqeel was still there.
If the car has been stood for months would this cause the turbo bearings to seize up? or could the car have been driven with the a holey oil cooler? although the rest of the engine seems fine.
I've got a price of £200 for a re-con turbo (K-16) if thats right. So what do you lot think? shall I buy it and hope changing the turbo will fix it or leave it?
also the OBC was missing, the clocks were pealing and leather was cracked etc etc.

Thanks
Rob/ste

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.