1st time in a year and its let me down
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1st time in a year and its let me down

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    aha this is very interesting information for oddball.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    M135i
    i didint understand why before either, but when a battery i had started dieing everyday, my dad said to top it up, which he did, and after a good charge, it worked prettmuch fine. its a good idea to keep em topped up IMO... Sadly neither my origonal battery, nor my Densil one can be topped up

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Saab/Pug/Zaf
    doesnt matter now, probalem wasnt actually the battery voltage before it ran out.
    16vastra not amused

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    what was the problem, so i can pass it on.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    A Power Ranger
    what was the problem?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    A Power Ranger
    lmao lmao Great minds and that.............

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Saab/Pug/Zaf
    what is the problem would be the correct question G

dunno, kicked it and left cos i had to get to work.
    right. ok. it turns over and i can hear it firing in 2 cylinders weakly, but it cant fire up. the plugs are black and wet. theres a spark from the coil (so not crank sensor yeah?) but theres no spark at the plugs. the dizzy hall sensor isnt connected on the mbe so its not a faulty dizzy yeah? changed the rotor but its the same, gonna change the cap tomorrow when i pick one up.
    but now it wont even turn over cos the starter has seized, sometimes it wont even grace me with a click after i have rocked it to try free the solenoid.

if you cant be arsed trying to understand that, the summary is fuel but no spark after the main coil lead. oh and the starter is goosed which dont help much.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    A Power Ranger
    Hi,

Just call the RAC, it helped for me lmao

Bummer though, I'm not much help at these things but I hope you get it sorted soon mate

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Saab/Pug/Zaf
    i walked 5 miles ish today. was fecking knackered. had to carry a huge heavy duty battery for over a mile, that was fun.
    just as well i get trade prices at the motor factors as well

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    do you have a spare set of relays for the MBE loom ?

If the sparks stopping at the dizzy its suggest leads or cap.

I know what you mean about the click click, no reply from teh starter. I'm sure theres something not quite right about the MBE setup, specifically that square plug near the starter motor, i.e the big red cable that used to plug in there for the bosch loom.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Saab/Pug/Zaf
    no, but fuel is going in and the pump is running. kicked them anyway, but it didnt help
    leads i hope not, but cos theres no spark after the king lead they cant all have gone at the same time and it will be the cap.
    pity the cap looks brand new

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Saab/Pug/Zaf
    oh, thought it was my starter going as the last one went the same so i binned it. whats going on? i did the engine & wiring on this car in a day so dont remember what i did, whats the red wire and what square connector? mines got a round one now, i think they do the same job cos i remember the 8v was square.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    just a general observation really after the TB conversion. I think gary did a post ages ago about the starter catching, snicking, engine backing up, and having to retry the starter.

Just seems to me the starter is always struggling even when the battery is in good order. I dont see any mechanical reason why it should be under more strain.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    A Power Ranger
    Hi,

was it this thread?

cranking advance for MBE

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Saab/Pug/Zaf
    mine hardly does that now. changed my timing map and the cranking exit is now at 600 revs. done it maybe twice this month.
    that didnt bother me much anyway, the starter is now stuck solid which does kinda irritate me

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    well mine does it nearly everytime i start the car. I fear the starter motor is the weekest link. It probably doesnt like being turned backwards while under power.

that is the thread though garrie.

Originally posted by tomstickland
    When starting an engine its effective RPM is quite low, around 200RPM or so. If the ignition timing used at idle is set to around 25 degrees (which is about average for a mapped engine) the chances are that the piston will hit the ignited mixture while still on the compression stroke. This will have the effect of pushing the piston down against its normal rotation, effectively this is ‘knocking’ at cranking speeds. This is known as ‘kicking back’ and is normally characterised by the starter motor ‘straining’ and slowing right down, this makes the engine difficult to start and can easily destroy a starter motor in short order.

This is a common problem on engines equipped with mechanical ignition systems and more extreme cams since the engine needs plenty of ignition advance at idle to run properly. Unfortunately this extra advance can also cause ‘kick back’ and there is no way with a mechanical system to differentiate the timing between cranking and idle.

EMS based systems solve this problem by having a separate timing value for cranking/ start-up which is normally set to around 5-8 degrees. This is low enough to prevent kickback but is high enough to start the engine; the moment the engine fires the appropriate ignition setting from the base map is used.
    thats exactly the problem, i dont have a laptop, gonna have to live with it for now.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    A Power Ranger
    Hi,

Should this be something I should be worried about? I've never notcied this before although saying that its not like the car gets started everyday. Should know more after Wednesday

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Saab/Pug/Zaf
    naa, rocking the car when its in 1st frees it up. its just mine thats being a **** cos it likes to save all the problems for 1 day...usually when i am planning nice mods. weird that.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    A Power Ranger
    I guess your car was made in the same factory as mine then

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    my starter motor is only about 10 months old, thats the scary thing. guess they dont make them like they used to.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Saab/Pug/Zaf
    mine was made in my drive mate lmao
    (hence why its broke )

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    A Power Ranger
    oh yeah

Mine broke in my drive does that count? lmao

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Saab/Pug/Zaf
    ****in cars eh. i have been thinking of getting a runabout with the misses. summat slow and comfy, been thinking about a cally turbo, but the bird likes corsas ffs women eh. cars and women, why do i bother lmao

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    A Power Ranger
    my lass likes corsa's too

But I must admit I kinda like it too

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    well they do come in allot of "nice" colours

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast