Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Diesel Battery

508 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  mystery machine 
#1 ·
Will normal alternator on Cav Gsi cope with a big battery - it's summit like 66amp/hour, whatevr that means???

#4 ·
Big batteries are usful.

1) They last long when leaving lights / radio on
2) There life is longer (years) Significant increase.
3) They are very usful when turning the engine over on cold mornings or if for some reason your car don't start

There disadvantages are

1) They cost more (but they do last longer)
2) Weight :rolleyes:

Yes a standard alternator will cope fine.

You should upgrade your alternator if you are constantly drawing alot more current when the engines running (eg ICE)

#5 ·
I got a Stamina Heavey Duty battery in my Nova TD.

Cost the best part of £80, but it has lasted for 1 year, has'nt needed a top up, I leave my lights on overnight sometimes and it still starts, and the best bit is it can cope with turning a heavy Diesel engine over ;)

Well worth the cash even if it's not for a Diesel (make sure it will fit in a petrol though :D )

#8 ·
Mark CDX V6 said:
Careful with Diesel batteries, some of them have Terminals reversed for some reason!!

Carltons for example!
Oh man, the explosions we got when we put the battery on backwards on my friends 1.4SPi Mk3 Astra. One big bang, then four smaller pops from the back of the alternator. Feck, I though, alts fried, I wonder how the ECU faired? Turned battery around, all was fine! Guess they're pretty resiliant!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.