Cav 2.0 SRI engine into mk3 Astra 1.6 SI
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cav 2.0 SRI engine into mk3 Astra 1.6 SI

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra Si

Cav 2.0 SRI engine into mk3 Astra 1.6 SI

Hi, just bought a mk3 astra 1.6 si with a knackered engine. I've been offered the engine out of a mk3 Cavalier 2.0 8v SRI, is this engine a straight swap? will it fit using my existing engine mounts, gearbox, driveshafts etc?

If not which parts do I need to change?

If I do need to change the gearbox and drive shafts can I still use my existing hubs and struts as it already has vented disks.

Also can I fit the 2.0 engine using the muti-point injection currently fitted to the Astra rather than the injection system from the Cavalier?
    Are the inlet and exhaust manifold interchangeable between the 1.6 and 2.0 engines?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to do this the simplest/ cheapest way I can.

Thanks for your help,

Simon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Cossie pug 205
    Hi

I helped do a 2.0l 8v engine from a mk3 cav into a 1.4mk3 astra swapping the loom over etc. It was not that bad. Do a search for 1.4 mk3 astra 2.0l cav. Most of question swill be answered on there.

regards muppet
    Now has a 4WD project. :)

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra mk4 SRi Turbo
    i have an actual black mk3 astra 2.0 8v SRI for sale - be alot easier.
    pm me if interested!
    www.total-performance.co.uk

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra Si
    Thanks for the replies.

Muppet I have read your posts about the conversion it was them that got me started on the idea in the first place! They answered some of my questions but there seem to be quite a few differences between the 1.4 carb and 1.6 mpi engines. I was hoping I could use the existing injection system, gearbox, etc for the conversion.

Smitht, thanks for the offer but think I'll stick with the one I have, It only cost 150, if this conversion doesn't come off I'll just fix the original engine.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Cossie pug 205
    I would change the whole engine including loom and inlet manifold. you will not have to change the fuel pump like we did because yours is already a multi point injection unlike my mates which was a single point.

Changing the loom is very easy. It was practically colour for colour.

regards muppet.
    Now has a 4WD project. :)

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Originally posted by muppet
    I would change the whole engine including loom and inlet manifold. you will not have to change the fuel pump like we did because yours is already a multi point injection unlike my mates which was a single point.

Changing the loom is very easy. It was practically colour for colour.

regards muppet.
    anymore detail on swapping the looms, u said almost colour for colour, what does almost mean?!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    6J Ibiza FR TDi
    You'll need to use the gearbox that comes with the 2 litre. You can't use a 1.6 gearbox on the 2 litre
    Vauxhall history - 13S | 14NV | C16XE | X20XEV
    VAG history - BLT | CFHD

+ Reply to Thread