Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

fly wheels

2K views 58 replies 10 participants last post by  InsaneSwede 
#1 ·
Any of u guys know if the 2.0 fly wheel is the same as the one off the 2.0 16v engine (mk2 gte) weight etc?

Will it fit onto the v6 block?

apreciated :beer:

#54 ·
Sstudy if is good remove some weight of mine.. can go up rpm more fast, but lost torque...
Why do people think lightening the flywheel will affect torque? I've heard other people say this, but I can see no reason why it should. In the same way as filling the boot of the car with Lead plates doesn't effect torque either.

Any flywheel can be lightened by an engine workshop.

#55 ·
NEWS FLASH

SBD have just had in their first consignment of aluminium fly wheels.
They are made of ally and have a disc of harder metal which the clutch friction plate presses against. They are also standard size so you can use any old clutch and you origional starter motor.

Weight?? - can't remeber what **** was saying cos i was so busy holding it up (easily) with one finger. - That was complete with ring gear as well!!

Good bit of kit & I maybe tempted to get one, even if it is about £300 +vat.

#56 ·
I had a look at them, and tbh, the XE ine's not much lighter than my 5kg steel one, and it costs an extra 250 quid. feck that.

if you get one, and put it on a cammed xe in a cav, you'll either stall at every junction, or wear the clutch out as you have to rev it to get away.

How do i know these things i wonder...... :)

#57 ·
true it will take a bit of practiced driving, but after riding motorbikes for almost 20 years clutch and gear control is quite easy! And my car is only my toy, if I want a nice refined comfortable drive I jump in the Mondeo.

5Kg one?! - Is that the standard one machined down or one of SBD's special ones? (I have the std lightened one but carn't remember weight). If special I thought they all needed the 'race' starter don't they?

#58 ·
I can't really see any great advantage in going silly light on the flywheel. It will not improve acceleration (I worked out a max of 1% improvement in 1st gear, less for higher gears). It will allow you to rev the car up quicker during downchanges.

#59 ·
A light flywheel help´s getting traction too when you change the gear..

funny you say?

Well it´s because when you lift the throttle and presses down the clutch.
the engine have less 'rotating mass energy' so the engine easier 'dips' down to the right Rpm.

ofcourse doesn´t this work with fullthrottle shifting.
in my case when i got double revlimits (one activated on clutchpedal)
it makes a big imrovement..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.