Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Gearbox Oil

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Joff 
#1 ·
Does the gearbox have its own seperate oil or do you need to drain it out and fill it up again somewhere, cos i find it a real biatch to find second when i start up from cold. Help Plz

#5 ·
it doesnt run on engine oil funnily enuf it runs on gear box oil lie your engine it has (or should have) a sump plug underneath and a plugged up refill hole in the top a haynes manual will tell you were to locate both (I dunno where thay are exactly on your car) aswell as which grade of gearbox oil to use

PS vaux charge about £25 for an oil change alone I cant imagine it being much more for a gearbox change

#10 · (Edited)
first up, there is no sump plug. to drain the oil you have to remove the differential cover plate, which is the domed section at the lowest point of the gearbox, then replace it. to refill, theres a oil level plug on the drivers side at the rear of the box, take that out. you then unbolt the breather ontop of the gearbox (prise off the dustcap first) then poor in oil until it begins to run out of the oil level plug. replace oil level plug, replace breather and dust cap.

item 30 - differential cover plate
item 4 - breather
item 5 - dust cap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.