smoking astra van
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: smoking astra van

MIGWeb User
    Drives

smoking astra van

have a mk4 astra van.. 1.7td. the gm engine. it smokes alot wen i put my foot down or wen pullin off in second etc. also when i ease off for corners and building the revs back up. ive tried some stp diesel cleaner and had the egr valve clean (according to the garage). any other ideas what it could be? cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    96 Astra X17DTL

Re: smoking astra van

Hi there,

Have you had the van long? Has the problem sudddenly appeared or developed slowly? Air supply is a big issue so have you installed a new air filter? Maybe your intake manifold needs to be removed and thoroughly cleaned (I know mine needs all the crap cleaned out of it). Time for a new fuel filter? Injectors may need proper cleaning/servicing and spray pattern checked.

If there is no EML then I reckon it would be worth trying those sorts of things before anything else. Mine's the older MK3 version with a mechanical injector pump and start of fuel feed can certainly effect smokiness, but yours is electronically controlled and you don't have to do that adjustment, so if something was wrong with some sensor it should cause EML to come on and log a fault code.

Cheers, Paul.

Drives
    Way too Fast :-/

Mileage? Valve stem oil seals or turbo seals? What about first start on a morning or just stationary for a while and a rev up?
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    96 Astra X17DTL

ah there you go - good point, maybe just oil smoke - I assumed it was fuel/air related

MIGWeb User
    Drives

its done 92,000 on a v reg. first thing on a morning it smokes when started and if i sit and rev up it will chuck out some black smoke. ive had all new filters.. oil change etc. how wud i check for these seals?
    cheers

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    mk3 Astra

how regular is it driven as black smoke would suggest fuel. i thought blue/ish smoke was oil and water was white smoke?

MIGWeb User
    Drives

its driven daily, never thrashed or carry much weight and it is black smoke

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    96 Astra X17DTL

Kind of hard to know how to proceed if you've done all the basic/obvious stuff and there is no EML and fault codes to point you in the right direction. Also hard to say for sure whether its oil-related smoke or fuel/air-related smokiness.

I guess you could still consider turbo oil seal leak and valve stem seals. But then again maybe the injectors needs cleaning/servicing too.

I suppose you could connect up to diagnostics to see if it reveals anything. Maybe find some body with opcom, or if you have a laptop consider buying an opcom unit.

And would definitely consider checking what was done with the EGR valve. Pop it out, clean it yourself if necessary, see if the intake manifold if full of oily/sooty crap, check the vac tubes aren't ful of oil coming up from the vac pump.

+ Reply to Thread