This looks like one hell of a custom engine management system, ATC use it on some of their conversions, it also has launch control and TC built in.
Would this kind of ecu be set up DIY or does it need to be done by a dealer?
would make one monster of an ECU for the LET engine! it would alos get rid of the air flow meter, but how would it measure the air goininto the engine?, also i cant see a mention of a knock sensor, so how would this be determined?
Autronic SM2 is sequential 3D ECU.
This model is aimed at the serious racer. With traction control, it is ideal for circuit racing.
The Autronic SM2 includes harness, air and water temp sensor, internal map sensor, fuel pump relay, PC data cable, calibration and data logging software, 100 page manual.
The internal map sensor is available in 1bar absolute or 4.4 bar absolute (50 psi).
Available with high current (low impedance) or low current (high impedance) injector drivers.
Harness has a connector which plugs into the Ecu, and has a socket for fuel pump relay.
The data cable to connect to a IBM compatible PC or Laptop plugs into a port on the ECU case.
L = 180mm (7")
W = 200mm (8")
H = 40mm (1 1/2")
Click image for larger view.
Sequential operation for 2 to 8 cylinder engines.
3D fuel and Ignition maps.
User defined up to 32 RPM and 16 Load sites = 512 sites.
Eight auxiliary outputs other than fuel pump control.
Auxiliary outputs can be defined for boost control, nitrous oxide, staged injectors, camshaft timing, AC, fan control, idle valve etc...
Flat Shift. (ver 1.92 & 1.93)
Launch Control. (ver 1.93)
Available with high current drivers if required.
AutoTune option available.
Compatible with Motec Dash.
The Autronic SM2 Sequential Engine Management System are versatile engine management controls for all engine performance upgrades. Their sophisticated features allow these products to provide performance that rivals even the most expensive European systems costing 3 to 10 times more.
Included are features previously found in Formula 1 level applications, yet this system has the flexibility to be used by the every day engine tuner for almost any high performance upgrade.
A user friendly "IBM" compatible laptop program allows the user to select the degree of sophistication required for each application. This program, in combination with intelligence within the management system, allows the user to select the finest calibration detail required to match the application, in absolute minimum of time.
This program provides the means of interrogating the engine management system enabling speedy diagnosis and calibration.
These systems can cater for the requirements of virtually any spark ignition engine, including the following.
i. High output supercharged or turbocharged engines, with either multi point and/or center point injection.
ii. Rotary (****el) and two stroke engines.
ii. Engines having uneven firing sequences such as 2 and 4 cylinder "V" configuration motor cycle engines and V6 motor vehicle engines.
IMPORTANT:- Please note that this product is intended for high performance motor sport applications and compliance with statutory regulations when used on public roads cannot be guaranteed.
1. a. Eight injector drivers for full sequential operation on engines up to eight cylinders. May be set for 'semi-sequential' operation on engines having more than 8 cylinders. e.g:- 12 cylinder engine using 6 groups of 2 two cylinders.
b. All injector types catered for (0.9 ohm to 16 ohm coil resistance). Specify unit fitted with optional high current injector drivers for 0.9 ohm or twin injector applications.
2. User choice of manifold absolute pressure or throttle position as engine load input. Internal absolute
pressure sensor for simplified installation 0 to 200 kpa (0 to 29.4 PSI) and 0 to 300 kpa (0 to 44.1 PSI) available from stock. 0 to 450 kpa (0 to 66.1 PSI) available on request.
3. Single coil distributor, twin coil distributor or muilticoil distributor-less ignition configurations are possible on most engines.
4. Closed loop (feedback) boost pressure control for turbocharged engines with multiple calibration curves selectable by switch input or road speed (eg:- lower boost curve for use in low gear).
5. Closed loop (feedback) idle speed control.
6. Exhaust oxygen sensor input for sensing air/fuel ratio. Connect either a Bosch narrow band O2 sensor or for more demanding applications a Bosch wide band O2 sensor and Autronic Analyzer. The low cost narrow band sensor requires no interface adapters or expensive air/fuel ratio meters, and offers moderate accuracy and tolerance to leaded fuels. This function can be used to monitor air/fuel ratio during engine tuning or can be used for feedback control of air/fuel ratio for applications requiring exhaust catalytic conversion (feature available on request).
7. Diagnostic/Error indicator of sensor or ECU fault conditions with memory for detection of intermittent fault conditions.
8. Measurement of end correction for exhaust back pressure (applicable to turbocharged engines).
9. Control of engine cooling fans and coordination with air conditioner operation.
10. Programmable on/off output for solenoid or relay driving that operates according to engine speed and load (eg:- can be used for gear shift control or light, over rev indicator, inlet camshaft timing selection or control of a supplementary electric fuel pump that augments mechanical fuel pump delivery at low engine rpm only).
11. Precise spark advance control strategy for both static and dynamic operating conditions.
12. Unique calibration strategy allows accurate control of fuel delivery under both acceleration and deceleration.
13. User selectable spark and fuel delivery strategy for abnormal engine operation conditions to minimize possibility of engine damage whilst still maintaining engine operation.. (eg:- over heated or over boosted).
14. Comprehensive limp-home functions with user selectable default settings that ensure engine operation can continue after sensor failure has occurred.
15. User defined proportional output function that can be used for additional functions as outlined in 10 above or for a more sophisticated control function such as servo control of auxiliary butterfly for turbocharged applications requiring precise throttle control and minimum turbo lag.
16. Full compensation of engine control parameters for engine operation at any altitude (fuel delivery, ignition timing and boost pressure).
17. Adaptive learning (with memory) to minimize the number of user setups required and to provide optimal control of air/fuel ratio, boost pressure and idle stability.
18. Rev limiter with soft characteristic that uses a combination of fuel delivery and spark control.
19. Fuel pump safety shutoff. Pump stops 3 to 4 seconds after the engine stops.
20. Bi-directional input/output line for simultaneous connection of remote adjusting unit.
21. Standard unit is ultra light weight/compact yet has sufficient drive capacity for high power continuous duty applications. (one unit OK for all applications from motor cycle to large capacity twin turbo engines).
22. User configurable data logging of up to 17 channels with the selected channels being sampled as fast as 50 times a second. With 128k bytes of non volatile memory.
23. Optional interface unit to allow sequential operation without the need for separate crank/camshaft sensors or special multi-sensor distributor.
24. Fuel used pulse output to electronic or electromechanical counter with resolution of 0.1 liter (or use with trip computer).
25. Remote monitoring of all functions using telemetry adapter, ECU can perform simultaneous logging and telemetry.
26. Water injection/intercooler cooling for intake charge temperature control in turbo/super charged applications.
Sensors 1. Ignition input Hall effect, (Also available for direct connection to magnetic reluctor type pickups).
2. No. 1 cylinder reference. (Also available for direct connection to magnetic reluctor type pickups).
3. Road speed input. Hall effect (Also available for direct connection to magnetic reluctor type pickups).
4. Turbo speed input. Magnetic Reluctor (must use optional interface adapter).
5. Barometric pressure. (Internal to ECU).
6. Manifold pressure. (Internal to ECU).
7. Throttle position.
8. Intake air temperature.
9. Engine coolant temperature.
10. Exhaust back pressure (optional).
11. Exhaust oxygen. (or optional Wide Range Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor).
Auxiliary 1. Air conditioner request.
2. Boost curve select.
Adjustments Idle mixture trim. (Internal to ECU and screwdriver adjustable from outside).
Main 1. 8 off injector driver. (Optional 2 injectors per driver).
2. Ignition output.
Open collector output to any of the following:
1. Single coil high energy ignitions: Bosch 7 pin, Mitsubishi 3 pin.
2. Autronic Capacitor Discharge Ignition.
3. MSD 6A etc..
(4 outputs are available allowing multi coil distrubtor-less ignition for applications on engines up to 8 cylinders).
Auxiliary 1. Fuel pump/injector fuel shut off safety relay.
2. Air conditioner clutch relay.
3. Engine/Air conditioner cooling fan relay.
4. Engine cooling fan relay.
5. Idle speed actuator. (Variable duty cycle single pole type, eg:- Bosch).
6. Turbocharger wastegate control valve. (SEM, most OEM types or Autronic low or high capacity).
7. Turbocharger auxiliary butterfly control motor.
8. Spare duty cycle output with user define characteristic.
9. Fuel used pulse output. (for trip computer function).
1. Communications with "IBM" compatible computer for calibration, fault diagnosis.
Microcomputer Intel 16 bit running @ 16Mhz
Supply Voltage Normal operation
Safe limits 6.2V to 23V DC continuous
+/- 24V (5 min)
+/- 80V alternator load dump (0.5 sec).
+/- 1000V inductive spike (10 usec)
Current Drain @ Engine idle
@ Max Engine Load < 1 Amp.
< 16 Amp (less depending on injector type and number.
Operating Temperature Range
Max - 40 deg C.
+ 85 deg C.
Engine Cylinder Number Settings Number of cylinders 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16
Engine RPM Range 0 to 30,000 RPM
0 to 16,000 RPM
0 to 15,000 RPM Engines up to 4 cylinders
Engines up to 5 to 8 cylinders.
Engines 10 to 16 cylinders.
Injection Duration Timing Min
Setting resolution 0.7 msec.
+/- < (10 usec + 1%)
Injection Timing Range
Setting resolution 0 to 720 deg (crank angle).
+/- < (1.4 deg + 0.3 msec).
Ignition Timing Advance range
Setting resolution 0 to 45 deg (crank angle).
+/- 0.2 deg (crank angle).
0.5 deg (crank angle).
Fuel Delivery and Ignition Mapping No. Load sites
No. RPM sites 16 (max). Both Load and RPM sites
32 (max). are freely selectable.
Size L * W * H 190 * 190 * 38 mm
235 * 190 * 38 mm (overall, including mounts & connector)
Weight 1.35 kg
Connectors 52 way 'AMP' socket using 3 separate plugs 10 way high current plug.
18 way low current plug.
24 way low current plug.
Miniature mic plug (3.5 mm stereo) 3 way for communications with laptop computer.
Copyright © 2002 Ray Hall Turbos. Autronic