Turboing an XE
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turboing an XE

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    BMW

Turboing an XE

Just out of interest if you were gonna turbo an XE I realise you would have to run 2 headgaskets or 1 thick one but what would you do about the ECU? as obviously the standard XE ecu isnt designed to control a turbo lol?

also would you need a new manifold?
    The Vauxhall Bug; Once Bitten Forever Smitten

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra 1.9CDTi 8v
    There are a lot of things you have to do which is why people get a LET.
    A programmable ECU would be necessary.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    GTE 16v Turbo
    This was an avenue I looked at. However you need an AMM rather than an AFM, you need to fiddle with the SFI box so that it points the other way, otherwise you might not have enough room for the intercooler.

Then you need to replace the exhaust manifold for one with a turbo. Then you can look at compresion. 2 headgaskets is a bodge and won't be as effective as having the proper pistions so as the point that you have to change the pistons, you might as well get a LET.

And thats before you handle the extra wiring.

I think it can be done from the M2.5 ECU but things may need to be bodged a bit.
    Contemplating lots of things

Astra GTE Turbo - Link Now Working

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    MR2 Turbo
    you bodge it, its gonna pack up sooner or later and cost you even more money, best off sticking your hand in your pocket in the first place, get the right gear, not just a case of "lashing it on" alot to take into account when ramming that kind of pressure thru any engine, down to valve springs etc, bodge it and itll cost you more money to rebodge it when it goes pop
    Toyota MR2 - 570HP & 420Ft/Lbs
    Designed & Built BY ^Trickster^
    Tuned By Ryan.G 2 Bar Tuning

MWF
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    XR4i 3.1 Stage-2
    //LowAndWide.net//
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth RIP
    It's better to be un-informed than ill-informed

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra 1.9CDTi 8v
    get a supercharger instead.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    sideways
    Originally posted by ^Trickster^
    you bodge it, its gonna pack up sooner or later and cost you even more money, best off sticking your hand in your pocket in the first place, get the right gear, not just a case of "lashing it on" alot to take into account when ramming that kind of pressure thru any engine, down to valve springs etc, bodge it and itll cost you more money to rebodge it when it goes pop
    You bodge it????? Would you?

Personally I wouldn't. A set of inlet valve springs from a LET would probably benefit it, I have a set on the way actually to see what the poundage difference is between the LET and the XE springs.

Why does everyone presume that turboing a car is a bodge?

If you don't want to learn, or just don't know the theory then fair enough, a bodge is what it has to be. But if your serious about developing a turbo engine then why not?

If you start with the LET and you want bigger power you're still going to be replacing pistons, etc.. and given the prices that LETs are going for compared to the XE it's probably worth starting with an XE.

I doubt most people are trying to mimic a LET, but want to go further than a LET anyway....
    Brian Sidebotham.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    MR2 Turbo
    a bodge is sticking the turbo on with nothing else, or something like 2 head gaskets, the job isnt a bodge if you buy the right gear, is all i was saying, its an engine upgrade, you can do it half assed (bodged) or spend the money and make a good job of it.
    Toyota MR2 - 570HP & 420Ft/Lbs
    Designed & Built BY ^Trickster^
    Tuned By Ryan.G 2 Bar Tuning

MWF
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    XR4i 3.1 Stage-2
    Well said Brian!
    //LowAndWide.net//

MWF
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    XR4i 3.1 Stage-2
    The economics of engine tuning now there's a can of worms.

You could take a resonable XE, fabricate a turbo manifold and down pipe, plumb the system through an intercooler from a scrap yard, slap in rising rate regulator and run it at 6psi.

That would cost about £200 and give a good 50bhp more, 6psi wont harm anything and since you haven't taken the engine appart it's cheap as chips.

But then say you want 100bhp more then you will need to be running more like 12psi. So you need to lower the compression, therefore the engine comes appart and it gets very expensive and could cost more like £500 for only twice the increase in power.

The rule is quite simple, the further you tune beyond your starting point the more it will cost and that cost is exponential.
    //LowAndWide.net//

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    BMW
    cool so for not alot you could get it up and running

what would you do about the engine management?

MWF
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    XR4i 3.1 Stage-2
    what would you do about the engine management?
    This all depends on what kind of boost you intend to run and what level of requirement you have.

The cheapest method and by far the easiest is the beauty the rising rate regulator. This is a fuel regulator which increases fuel pressure as the boost goes up! All you need is injectors which can fuel up the required level.

If you want to get a bit funkier you can get something like an MF2 injector controller which can spray more fuel into the inlet manifold depending on boost or even in 3D with boost and rpm. You could even take this as far as running an extra four injectors and and fuel rail.

The next level is of course a programmable EMS which can read boost but this will require more diligant mapping.

You may find you need to retard the ignition, you can get an EMS6 which will run off boost and retard you ignition to suit. However the XE does have a knock sensor and might do this for you.
    //LowAndWide.net//

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    sideways
    Yep, the aftermarket fifth injector type controllers look OK. The rising regulator is what Matheus has in his kit, and it does the job.

Would be good to do your own conversion. Clearly though, Matheus has some serious advantage with his alcohol fuel though
    Brian Sidebotham.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra GTE 2.0 8V Tur

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    BMW
    yeah? how are they done Matheus428? just looking to see how it could be done really.

how are you going to do yours Matheus428?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra GTE 2.0 8V Tur
    Last edited by Matheus428; 27-01-2005 at 21:27.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    BMW
    injectors that could cope? would you be looking at standard LET ones for a low boost setup or would cleaned XE ones do the job?

rising fuel regulator? hmm surely you would be better off going for option 2 the MF2 controller? it sounds like it would cope better and be more reliable perhaps?

hmm... not totally clued up on turbos - N/A i can do but the gains u can can potentially get from a DIY turbo setup are appealing and it look like it would be fun lol

what is the MF2 controller?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    BMW
    just thinking it over in my head - if u did it the rising fuel regulator method and it went pop then its a case of oh well it would need a rebuild anyways to run higher boost levels.....

what sort of boost levels would require a lower compression running super unleaded/optimax?

but as MWF said some risk of detonation would be negated by the knock sensor

gonna have to look into turbo tuning more i reckon i feel somewhat like a fish out of water at the minute

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Astra GTE 2.0 8V Tur
    Last edited by Matheus428; 27-01-2005 at 21:34.

MWF
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    XR4i 3.1 Stage-2
    Jhonno, in response to your queeries:

The rising rate regulator is no worse than an injector controller or new ECU. The cream injectors most XE's came with are good for 200bhp so wouldn't be pushed to the limit at around 6psi of boost.

You'd be best using the ECU from a later XE with the lambda sensor as this way the ECU should adjust the injector firing rate to stoich when in closed loop mode. It would however need setting up properly at wide open throttle as this is a fixed map on the ECU.

When it comes to mapping the only real downside with fueling is economy, you can easily set the car up to overfuel slightly.

The MF2 boost driven injector controller is made by Aquamist and can be used for either fuel injectors or water injectors. It can fire up to four fuel injectors and costs £200. Unlike the RRR it can be mapped to rpm and boost (3D). However this has limited appeal on an engine as advanced as the XE, it's more usefull when you need considerably more fueling than standard. A similar and cheaper example is the SDS EIC http://www.sdsefi.com/eic.html

As for boost levels this comes down to a few things, mainly your ACT (air charge temperature) this is effected by your intercooling. Generally 6psi will cause no damage to a modern engine, 9psi is possible (I run 9psi on my standard comp 4b). Anything over this is getting risky. You could of course run two head gaskets which just means you'll be replacing them more often than normal.
    //LowAndWide.net//

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Cossie pug 205
    Do a search for muppet and turbo and maybe mini and you should see quite a few topics about the subject. I have gone for the more expensive option. I do not want to go giving advice until I have proven mine producing the goods but I will get there in the end. For me it is as interesting trying to get there than just the end result.

regards muppet
    Now has a 4WD project. :)

+ Reply to Thread