Cannot open bonnet on vectra c !! Cable is functioning? Does not spring up!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cannot open bonnet on vectra c !! Cable is functioning? Does not spring up!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    calibra le turbo

Cannot open bonnet on vectra c !! Cable is functioning? Does not spring up!

Guys im having murders with the vectra atm as it seems i cannot open the bonnet now??
    I can hear the cable pul functioning under the bonnet but for some reason the bonnet wont spring up to release.. It seems the bonnet is jammed shut tight and i cant fiqure out how to get it open
    I have been told i might need to smash out the front grill to gain access but i dont really want to destroy that if i dont need to tbh.
    Wondered if there was another method of getting it to open without goin hard core with a hammer on the grill..
    I have ordered a new cable already as im prepared to ruin the 1 on there now in getting this sorted!!
    Cheers richiem

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGClub Member
    Drives
    mk4 Astra GSI

Re: Cannot open bonnet on vectra c !! Cable is functioning? Does not spring up!

The cables go slack over time. Sometimes you can get someone to pull the cable whilst you try to pull the bonnet up (gently) and it's enough to pop it, or another way is to detatch the handle so you can pull the cable a bit further. Once you've got it open, adjust the cable to get rid of the slack.

Drives
    Most days

Or as someone pulls on the cable, smack the bonnet hard at the front.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    6J Ibiza FR TDi

pull the cable and push the bonnet down at the same time, and it might pop open - this worked for me when my cable stretched
    Vauxhall history - 13S | 14NV | C16XE | X20XEV

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    calibra le turbo

Tried all this guys but its not budging a single millimeter tbh.. Seems like its actually jammed shut rather than it bein to do with the cable release..
    Im wondering if the locking mechinism has jammed up or something..
    I can pull the cable thro the sleaving with no worries at all and here the release part moving to free it but it doesnt budge at all even it its bounced at the same time.
    Not sure how im ganna free it up.
    Im wonderin if something is jammed under the hood as last time i opened it i had someone fitted a new aux belt and tensioners..
    It seems really solid with no movement what so ever???

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    calibra le turbo

Ps / sorry! Just noticed i posted this is the wrong topic!! oppps!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Saab powered corsa C

It's happened to me before where I've left a spanner or something on the inside of the wing where the bonnet meets, slammed the bonnet shut and not been able to get back in!! Worst case is you'll have to try and get behind the grille and manually flick the locking catch over. It will take some doing though mate! Good luck.

MSG
    MIGClub Member
    Drives
    Calibra Eco 16V 2L

At least your Cally never let you down as far as the bonnet opening was concerned, despite you had to open it thousands of times! LOL. Rich if you need another pair of hands, you know where I am.
    I am too old for my Calibra and my Calibra is too old for me! we are both stuck!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    calibra le turbo

Long time mr msg, hope your well, LIKE YOU SAY , I always had a reason to be under the calibra bonnet bruv! Thing is, if the cali bonnet got stuck there was ways to get it open without any real agro, this bonnet seems impossible to get into right now. Im thinking the catch is actually jammed tbh as the tightness is right from the front and as far as im aware im not missing anything from the tools and stuff .. Might have to knock out the lower grill.. The guy working on the car for me said he did shut the bonnet pretty hard to be sure it closed cos the first time it didnt shut HMMM!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    cali turbo

got the same problem. I solved it with someone pushing hard on the bonnet and me pulling directly the cable. could help spraying ,from beneath, some lubricant on the spring area.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    calibra le turbo

Right sorted it at last.. Spent 3 hours just now with the aa guy and he was baffled and ended up giving up! After he went i ended up cutting out the front top grill but still couldnt get access as there was a plastic item blocking the way thro so i gambled and ended up ripping that out thro the hole in the grill. This was akward but i eneded up pulling that thro the gap in the grill with some force and this revealed all the area i needed to get to so im guessing this is put there to stop you getting access!! Once removed i could get under the revealed spring holder and find thebar with the loop on it which i found had no cable in it!! The cable had jumped out somehow!! I refitted the cable thro the eye and popped it open from the lever inside.. The aa guy was talking about angle grinding a whole in the bonnet ( arrghh) Glad i did wait a nd try.. Now all i need is a new grill for the front.. Sorted!!

+ Reply to Thread