C20xe & twin 45's...
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: C20xe & twin 45's...

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Tb'd xe corsa

C20xe & twin 45's...

I have a c20xe (coil pack version) and have jus got twin 45 carbs, could someone pls shed some light on wat I need to do the conversion and if I can do with coil pack type engine as was under the impression I needed the distributor type...

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    corsa c z20leh + m32

Re: C20xe & twin 45's...

on my old corsa i used a mk2 cav dizzy and ignition module. is there not just a blanking plate that you can remove in order to fit a dizzy or is the head different?

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Tb'd xe corsa

I think there is but have seen somewhere u can use coil pack, which I'd prefer to do as better ignition, jus want someone to confirm it really...and tell me wat parts I need other than inlet and management. Cheers

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    CORSA C SRi

if you want to run a dizzy setup you will need to change the exhaust cam for an early type. then use a dizzy, coil and ignition amp setup from a mk2 cav 1.6/1.8 (check the drive on the dizzy as it may need changing for one from a xe dizzy)
    or ring h+h ignition (0138 4261500) and tell the what your doing and they will supply evrythnk needed for ignition side of things.

or you can use megajolt witch runs a ford edis coilpack IIRC

when wiring the coil, there is a square black plug that joins the starting/charging loom to the c20xe loom. use the black wire that runs to your coilpack and run it to the + side of coil

you will need a bike fuel pump or a facet type with a pressure regulator to drop pressure as carbs only need around 3/4psi

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Tb'd xe corsa

Thanks John, that helps a little!! I think il keep it coil pack type then tbh....

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    CORSA C SRi

im not to sure what you have to do with megajolt but you will need to mount a trigger wheel on the aux pully and make a bracket to hold a crank sencor

have a read throught the how 2 bike carbs (on pg 5) thread as most of it will still help you out.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Chevette XE, Calibra

Budget?
    Most distributor conversions seem to be just for RPM, which is fine if you just drive flat out all the time and don't care about getting the best out of the engine.
    There are a number of mapable electronic conversions around, which have the advantages of having exactly what 'curve' is needed for best torque/power at full throttle AND can further advance the ignition as required for part throttle use which increases torque and economy. They also tend to work with what you've already got fitted.

An example is SBD Motorsport MBE9A4i ECU bit pricy, perhaps, as a little over 600quid with the Weber TPS, etc - however, with the cost of petrol, it may pay for itself in short order if you use the car a lot around town.

MIGWeb User
    Drives

H+H uses the cavalier setup and sells it as a kit. it has vacuum feed for engine load reference

i thought you could use a dizzy on a coil pack cam, but not the other way round. theres an offset threaded hole where the cam rotor bolts too which i believe is in the same place (dimensionally) for the offset peg on distributor.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Tb'd xe corsa

Cheers guys I am a bit more clued up now, gordo that is the ecu I'm thinkin of as then I won't have to convert to distributor...

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    CORSA C SRi

just had a look at my coilpack cam and if you unbolt the cam rotor the drive slots are there

h+h correct the advance curve to suite the 2ltr aswel

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Tb'd xe corsa

Jus looked on sbd website n found most the info I need...cheers alot guys!!

MIGClub Member
    Drives
    Mk2 Cav LET

The coilpack cam has a ball bearing blanking the end of the cam oilway. To fit a dizzy you would need to shorten the end of it where it goes into the cam.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Tb'd xe corsa

I don't want to fit a dizzy....there is no need!

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Chevette XE, Calibra

They're good people, have a chat to them about the setup - you'll probably get a credit for the coilpack, as you won't need it.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Chevette XE, Calibra

NM, DP.

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Quote Originally Posted by Corsamitch View Post
    I don't want to fit a dizzy....there is no need!
    fair enough, the only reason to use twin 45's is to reduce purchase and installation costs, thats why everyone is advising the distrubutor route, as that is also the low cost route.

if you are gonna go out and spend 600-700 quid on an ignition only ecu, then another 300-500 having it mapped you might aswell have got throttle bodies which are superior in every other way.

MIGClub Member
    Drives
    Mk2 Cav LET

My thoughts exactly

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Chevette XE, Calibra

Agreed, TBs would be (was) my choice, however, some people just like carb's or they may be a requirement for some types of class racing.
    With the money for selling the carb's and manifold, there wouldn't be that much difference for a 'turn key' TB installation.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Tb'd xe corsa

Tbh I do intend on goin throttles at a later date but I'm doin carbs as a temporary upgrade as I got almost brand new 45's off my pal for cheap! Cheap cheap! N one of my gd pals wil map it set it up etc for just a drink...

MIGClub Member
    Drives
    Mk2 Cav LET

Why would you spend 600 on an ignition only setup then? Better off using a full management ecu to do ignition only in that case.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Tb'd xe corsa

Any u could recommend using? And does that mean I will be able to use on throttle bodies as well to save doing at a later date?

Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Drives

Just bung a dizzy on to get it going, I don't know which will do ignition only then both but I'm not a mapper lol. Megasquirt might do iirc.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Chevette XE, Calibra

Quote Originally Posted by Corsamitch View Post
    Any u could recommend using? And does that mean I will be able to use on throttle bodies as well to save doing at a later date?
    I don't see why not, effectively you're using everything except the injector map, outputs and lambda - they may be able to be disabled in the mapping or, perhaps, a dummy resistance used if there's a problem with an open circuit..
    Have a word to the guys at some of the places that sell the the full EFI conversions and, perhaps, try contacting the manufacturers of the units.

+ Reply to Thread