Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Rebuilt engine burning oil?

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Sly_Gsi 
#1 ·
Looking for advice really...Just rebuilt the engine on my car, new rings, honed bore, valve stem oil seals, big end shells, mains etc. Basically everything...

But it seems to be burning a fair bit of oil and is very smokey. Covered 250 miles in it so far and doesn't seem to have improved...still only revving it to a max of 4k rpm but even under light throttle it smokes...

Anyone ever had this? or does it suggest somethings up with it?

Any help appreciated...thanks

#5 ·
you washed the inside of your bores with soapy water and a scourer pad lmao:doh::doh::doh::doh: what a major mistake there :/ youve taken all the lubricant inside the bore off by using soapy water! also that can make it rust! and using a scourer? seriously man, if you look inside the bores you will notice like a scratching which is what the piston makes, only hone it with a special tool (honer) lmao not a scourer lol......bad move man

#7 ·
Ok, but as mentioned it was the plastic scourer type...not the stuff that's like wire-wool, was just to remove any bits of filing's left by the honing device. The criss-cross would not have been affected.?

The engine is actually a TU5J4 (Peugeot 106 Gti engine). I've covered 300 miles in it now, and power feels fine (except for the fact it splutters a bit due to the oil in the combustion chamber!). I think my next step is to do a compression test, see if it's all cylinders or just 1 or 2...Just a right bugger though... :/

I can't think of anything I did wrong during the rebuild, didn't have any problems on the c20xe I rebuilt, and haven't done anything different! So I'm not too sure...maybe I shouldn't have got it honed..

#8 ·
As you've correctly guessed, you need to do a compression test.

#10 ·
Taken it to my local engine builders, they carried out a blow by test and discovered it is the rings blowing by. But we also noticed the plugs are completely black and there was fuel in the bores aswell as the oil, so he suspects that because it's been running extremely rich (probably due to the mapping I had done previously) it's caused bore wash and prevented the rings from bedding in...

New ECU and re-running in should hopefully sort it...we shall see!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.