Engine wiring loom problems
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine wiring loom problems

MIGWeb User

Question Engine wiring loom problems

Hi All,

I'm new on here, and I have a Mk2 Cavalier LX which I'm converting from a 1.6carb to a 2.0SRI 130 - Again from a Mk2.

I've got the engine in ok, and the ecu is fine. The engine's not running yet as I have a problem with the wiring loom cos I think a small part of it is missing.

About 2-3 inches from the positive battery terminal, I have a plastic connector block which comes out of the new loom. I have nothing to connect to this as yet. The old Mk2 1.6 coil had a small black module mounted underneath it, but for the new engine all I got was a cylinder type coil.

There are 7 wires on this connector, which I've labelled below with what I think are there uses;

A - BLANK
    B - BROWN, WITH BLUE STRIPE, To dash for ECU light
    C - BLUE, WITH RED STRIPE, Leave disconnected (speed MPH)
    D - BLACK, Ignition to black on old coil wire
    E - GREEN - Rev counter, to green on old coil wire
    F - BROWN, WITH YELLOW STRIPE - leave disconnected (fuel comp
    G - BROWN, WITH RED STRIPE - don't know
    H - BLACK / WHITE - fuel pump via 20A fuse.

In order to wire this up properly, should I have a small black module with the new coil???

The wires I have coming from the old loom (which used to connect to the old coil) are GREEN, BLACK and BROWN. The green went to the '-' on the coil and the black to the '+'. then all three of the wires went to the small black module which has one cable coming out to a small platic plug which attached to the side of the old distributor.

I'm stuck mainly, as to how I should wire up the coil. I could do with looking at somebody's Mk2 SRI 130 (Any offers??????).

I've looked at Mk3 Cavs, but the wiring loom is different.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    alfa 156
    from memory there is a small black module under the coil measuring about 2" by 3" and about 10mm high has a black plug going on to it that has something to do with the spark i know there the same on all mk2 1.8 and 2.0 8v astras and mk2 cavs it could be that
    the coil in a cav sits near to the battery

i have one in the garage if you need a pic email me and let me know

+ Reply to Thread