More Valver Nova teething problems
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More Valver Nova teething problems

rgb
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    17th Jan! :-)

More Valver Nova teething problems

Last night driving my nova valver and took it for a bit of a burn and found the thing stutters a bit about3-4thousand rpm and does not pick up brilliantly... Well it does but not smoothly any thing after that its fine.

It is running a full stainless exhaust and induction kit. I have also found that when i boot it really hard it sort of stops all power and then kicks in again and i get kicked back and a lot of force on engine mounts. Any ideas?

Also lots of trouble with gear linkage - Dont know if its getting caught on something but one minute i cant get 5th and then the next i cant get reverse.. Then it was ok and now i cant get reverse again... I have found the exhaust is making a rattling noise when i have these troubles with the gear linkages.

I think the engine needs some better earths and also the main power supply from the battery goes under the inlet manifold and has some bare wire that seems like it may touch the clutch cable on heavy boot...

Apart from that she flys.... And its melting the fan housing on the rad...lovely.

Any ideas and advise would be well appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

rgb
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    I think my gear linkage problem might be related to the way i put it in as it does not have much movement.....It says on valvers.com that ou need to flip the joint? what joint? i dont understand?

Also we used the nova linkage and its just been put on and works not very well not enough movement.... Any help will be appreciated...

also we have not used a spacer on the gearbox rear engine mount? does this really need to be used?
    Please reply before 12:30 as i finish work then and want to fix it this afternoon.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    sideways
    Hi Rich,

The gear linkage should be flipped at the universal joint, like below:

Should be how it looks. That should get you full movement.

The gear selection problem sounds like maybe the pinch bolt isn't tight enough, and is making the selector rod slip a bit. It's a bitch to setup right anyway, but once done it should be fine. You can use the haynes 4.5mm drill method to set it up, or sit the box in neutral, and get someone to hold the gearstick in neutral between 3rd and 4th (Where the stick would normally rest) whilst you do up the pinch bolt. I just pack cardboard around the gearstick to hold it in that position whilst I did the pinch bolt up.
    Brian Sidebotham.

rgb
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Ok so if i flip that joint it should be ok when i re-align the linkage and gear stick... Ill put it on a ramp later and try. It is well tight - The pinch bolt as it came loose last time. I will check this today.

What about the gear box spacer? does this need to be used as it has not been used yet?

Also will a 1.6 Nova GTE fuel pump be ok to run the Valver lump.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    sideways
    The 1.6 fuel pump is fine.

No gearbox spacer used??? How does your rear gearbox mount bolt to the gearbox? Is it flat on the side of the diff housing? If it is then the std rear mount wouldn't line up with the engine rubber mount which is on the floor pan.

If you haven't used a gearbox spacer set, and have the std rear gearbox mount, chances are that the gearbox is sat twisted in the engine bay, as you will have had to push the rear towards the drivers side to get the rear mount onto the rear rubber if it's possible without the spacer.
    Brian Sidebotham.

rgb
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Ok i have just checked the joint and it is in the correct position already. I will havbe to check whats going on the ramp tonight.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Rover 45 MK2 TD
    Rich, you got the same problem with me with regards to the stuttering, I have tried a different AFM and a temp sensor and its still overfuelling

rgb
    MIGWeb User
    Drives
    ok if you find out what it is tell me... Could be a bad earth or some dodgy plugs or something i will do some trial and error tonight... i got the whole afternoon off to sort some problems out.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    sideways
    The fan cowling is clost to the ex manifold... I had to cut the fan cowling toget the fan in place with the engine + ex manifold in the car.

With regards to stuttering, that could be the TPS being a bit dicky. See if the ECU is reporting any error codes and go from there. The motronic is pretty good at diagnosing faults IMO.
    Brian Sidebotham.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Rover 45 MK2 TD
    Not when you aint got an ECU light its not lmao

TPS is next is next on my list to check.

+ Reply to Thread