Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

c20let engine build advice

750 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  robert_in_notts 
#1 ·
Hi guys.

need some advice as getting a mixed opinion from alot of places.

basicly building a engine from scratch for my cavalier turbo that i bought as a shell.

the pistons i have are mahle but have slightly differant sizes stamped on them.

my problem is some say they will be fine, others say no no no wont work very well.

the size stamped on each as follows.

85.96 - 85.95 - 85.94 - 85.94

now to me, isent that bad of a differance, but some are saying it will make a huge differance and wont be very good for the engine.

just need this clearing up once and for all.

any advice appreciated :beer:

See less See more
#2 ·
well for me .01mm of a difference is so little I wouldnt be that concerned, are you have the block bored or polished etc ? its normal when you choose to rebore for the machine shop to match the bores to the new pistons which would include taking into account clearance for expansion of the piston.

I doubt that helps you but for me I wouldnt be that worried about such a small deviation.

#3 ·
cheers benny, no i dont think it would cause much differance either, one of the bores on the block im getting is a little scored, tho im hoping it will mostly come out with a good hone, if not either anouther set of pistons, or anouther block.

i was more worried as ive had a few people tell me it will screw up the compression between bores.

i cant see it myslef with a small differance, but just wanted to find out for sure :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.