Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

New block

711 views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  mininut 
#1 ·
What sort of money should i be paying for a new c20xe block? my local engine builder has a brand new one but I don't know what i should be paying for it.

M.

#5 ·
If the block needs to be bored, there's a good chance the pistons and their lands are well worn as well - are you sure you want to re-use them?
If you do, you're going to have to add a set of rings to the price of the block and possibly any piston refurbishing so that may make a re-bore with fresh pistons look a bit more appealling.

#7 ·
i think the block is the 2.2 one but has 86mm bore and looks very much like the XE one, he said that he would make sure they're the same before giving me any price.

which other blocks are the same as the XE then? LET is same (just oil return on front) how about the other 2.0 blocks??

M.

#9 ·
Not sure if the head is a direct swap - pay to double check - in that case.
If it is possible, the taller block would be a great foundation for a high rpm engine as you'd be able to use longer connecting rods.

#11 ·
might be interested, they are big block aswell arent they?

longer con rods making a better higher rpm engine? doesn't make sense does it lol? a longer stroke means higher capacity and longer stroke time. wouldnt this mean lower revs more torque? i know i larger bore gives more punch but surely adding more con rod would lower the safe rev limit?

#12 ·
rod length does not affect the stroke of the engine
it does however determine the rod angle and longer ones mean less angle which equals less friction which is better for high revs, you would be wanting to fit them with a shorter stroke crank anyway if you think about it, and so you get the best of both words for a high rpm motor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.