Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

zafira gsi burning oil fast!!!

15K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Robs Calibra 
#1 ·
hi there my zaf gsi is using about a litre of oil every 400 miles approx i had turbo unit changed about yr ago so hope this isnt the problem again car runs fine boost seems ok although the build up there is a slight feeling of holding back around the 3500 mark but no smoke if left to run for about a min at stand still and i throtle it i do get a bit of light blue smoke compressions are all ok to
if there is anyone who can maybe shed some light on this problem i would be very gratefull thankyou.:)

#6 ·
eek, cheap oil syndrome lol. Havent ran it low so the turbo ran lean of oil or something? also if oil is getting into the turbo from a leak, could burn up in manifold, hence no smoke unless you let it build up and boot it?[/quote

i use magnatec 10 / 40 so not cheap **** ive been told it could be stem valve sills but i would prob have to have the rings changed as the garage said might aswell as he has to take head of and apparently zafs suffer with this problem but at £750 + vat not sure as if the rings were gone surely it would run **** and smoke like hell and if i leave to tick over 4 couple of minutes not a great deal of smoke comes out or even when driven but the flat spot i get at around the 3500 mark i was told that i could be a sign the lambda sencors could be a bit clogged as i do get a smell of fuel in the car at times.

any answers to this will be great and thanks for your replys til now cheers :D

#9 ·
turbo technics sorted my turbo out and although its new im not saying it couldnt be that but when it did go last time the turbo was caked in oil and seeping out from pipe work and loads of smoke ive checked all turbo pipe work and nothing to be to concerned about then i could be wrong ah :confused: but stem valves it wot i think but do i realy have to have piston rings done aswell . not convinced :cool:

again thanks for your help on this and please keep it coming cheers :beer:

#11 ·
You don't need piston rings done as well, especially if the compression test was ok. I had a leaky stem seal on my current car, and i used to use at least as much oil as you. since changing it it's been fine, no oil loss what so ever. It should be fairly obvious if thats the problem, as the piston etc would be caked in old burnt oil. Try checking the spark plugs, to see if any look like that.

although the idle thing does make it sound like oil creeping past the turbo seals.

#12 ·
Hi

Thanks. I can check the Sparks. Is there anyway I should take this to in order to have it checked out properly. When I had the turbo check, there was no oil what so ever around where they were checking. They said if oil was getting pass the seals, then it would show where they were checking but it was bone dry. BY checking the sparks, would this eliminate being valve stems. I hear you have to take the head of to check the valve stems which would cost alot if not the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.