Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

VECTRA 1.8LS Oil filter housing help..

14K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  16v Nova 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just tried to do an oil change -simple enough you'd think...

Unfortunately, the alloy filter housing has broken away from the engine block?? The nut was tight but i didn't think that the housing would break at the block end?

Anyone got any suggestions how I resolve this? On a sunday too?

Cheers :s

#3 ·
It's not a screw on metal filter.

o.k. searching the web, this doesn't appear to be a rare problem. The alloy housing fits to the engine block as a cannister oil filter would. Perhaps the last person to change the oil was a bit heavy handed or over age I guess, the lid to the filter housing becomes tight, and when undoing it to replace the paper element, it has moved the alloy housing and its now loose and a bit has broken off at the block end.

I understand these housings are £32 from vxl or you can just remove it and fit a regular metal oil filter. But to do this I need a threaded adaptor to screw into the block and to screw the filter on to.. again, not on a Sunday I guess??

Agh.. what's the easiest solution here? The car is needed tomorrow morning -lol. Agh why me???

Cheers :D

#5 ·
i had the same problem with my 2001 yesterday last person to do it tightened it too much and the whole housing was spinning. I must have been lucky that mine didnt break away. I ended up using a filter wrench to keep the housing still while undoing using a 24mm spanner on the nut on the housing lid. Like someone above said try and remove the housing and look into fitting a metal filter. Scrap yards are open and sould have all the bits you need. Worse thing they ever did was to start using these paper cartridge filters.

#7 ·
Can anyone help with the conversion to a metal filter route? I think I may just have a thread somewhere from the removal of a 16v oil cooler years ago? That may just be what I need.. however, i've read things about oil pressure issues and light coming on and not seen confirmation that it's actually possible to go this route?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.