Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Transmission noise! thrust bearing?

8K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  fromthearth 
#1 ·
my f20 has developed a metallic grinding noise while ticking over and driving. this stops when the clutch is pressed but gradually slows to a stop. this happened after some high speed 5th gear action yesterday. funny thing is after going over a real bumpy rd the noise stopped and gears were a lot easier! now its making the noise again!:( help plz

#8 ·
Re: transmission noise! thrust bearing?

:nod:
should be. only way to check is by emptying int it? id top up but would to much oil be harmfull?
look in speedo drive hole ,we have a product over here called g70 gear treatmen its a teflon additive works a treat should be something over there ,its made by nulon or try liquid molly they may make one but if the noise totally stops when you press clutch sound like thrust bearing

#16 ·

u tell me mr reaper. im a bit dim when it comes to transmission! car still drives fina apart from the noise. gears were hard to get when it first happened but fine now.:confused:

#17 ·

im thinking its the input shaft, same on my volvo...you press the clutch and the noise goes (not in my case, i have pretty much half an exhaust lmao)...does it make noise in all the gears when your driving??? say in 1st you get the same noise and it speeds up???

while your rolling (say your doing 30mph) , and you dip the clutch, does the noise go away???

#19 ·

sounds like input shaft then. thanks for the help lads!:beer: fifth gear will still whine though so i may just tell our lass the f20 is fcuked so i can get a 28.:D p.s grim, yes still does it when up to speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.