Urgent help with first Vauxhall. 1.7td Astra van
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Urgent help with first Vauxhall. 1.7td Astra van

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Urgent help with first Vauxhall. 1.7td Astra van

Basically I bought my first ever vauxhall last night for work. A 1.7td 1999 v reg astra van.

I now have a fault that is doing my nut in and too bad to ignore.

In the morning the car starts fine first time, ticks over etc fine and has such a smooth engine.

If you rev when cold lots of smoke shooting from the exhaust black.

If you drive for a while it all changes, when the car gets warm (needle shows between 80-90, and doesnt sit still), the car start to hesitate as your driving, a little loss of power., and sometimes jurking.

If you stop when the car is warm and let it idle its idleing low like its about to cut out and then jumping up, doing this repetedly, like your sitting there revving it your self (but im not)
    This then stops if you put your foot on the accelerator pedal. Also its not smoking as much when its warm.

Dash light wise, i get two lights come on when the problem is there (when warm, never when cold). one is the bottom left light, looks like a rad with fan in front of it, and the other im not too sure what it is, its under the handbrake light and to the left of the battery light.

Again the car is idleing fine and driving fine when cold, bar the smoke, untill it gets warm, when the symptoms above start and lights come on.

Last thing is very rarely when this bunny hoping idle is happening, the speedo moves to about 5mph and drops again. Only rarely.

Any idea on this people? help would be so appreciated.

Going to give the throttle etc a clean tomo, but need a haynes, dont know where any thing is on this engine. (usually have Vw's)

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    xe corsa tb`s nos

Re: Urgent help with first Vauxhall. 1.7td Astra van

is it gm or isuzu engine sounds similar to my astra with gm engine the poxy diesel pump went tits up, too expensive to sort so put an xe in it,get a scan mate

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Quote Originally Posted by GAZ`D View Post
    is it gm or isuzu engine sounds similar to my astra with gm engine the poxy diesel pump went tits up, too expensive to sort so put an xe in it,get a scan mate
    Was that only when hot etc?
    This has apparantly had a new one a few months back, looks alot cleaner than the rest of the engine too.

does any one have a run down of what symbols on the dash are what?

MIGWeb User
    Drives

How do i know what engine mate? new to vauxhalls and diesels completely.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    xe corsa tb`s nos

has it got isuzu written on it,are the injectors in the front of the engine or back mate

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Quote Originally Posted by GAZ`D View Post
    has it got isuzu written on it,are the injectors in the front of the engine or back mate
    Had diesel printed on the top, havent really inspected as to where the injectors are to be honest.

In thinking one of or all isv/egr/coolant sensor.

Any where i can see how to blank off egr?? or how to's??

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    xe corsa tb`s nos

if it has diesel printed on it i think that is a gm so my advise is get it scanned think you may find out this is a pump issue

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Like I said its only when hot, Surely the pump would be the same all the way through? Which is why im thibnking its coolant sensor related due to the temp going up. maybe that causing the egr to mess up and a blocked isv, as soon as you touch the throttle the tickover is fine, just hesitant in higher revs (Egr)

Im not too sure to be honest but im going to go give it all a clean out and hope for the best to be honest.

Just the pump is new (apparantly) and does look new.

Drives
    Astra SXI

Quote Originally Posted by krave View Post
    In thinking one of or all isv/egr/coolant sensor.
    I don't think the GM diesel engine has an ECU. The Isuzu engine definitely doesn't.

Seems strange that it works fine when the engine is cold. First thing I would check would be pump timing TBH, especially if it runs off a belt like the Isuzus.

MIGWeb User
    Drives

can a problem that is only there when warm really be the pump??

what is the obd on these cars like if i get the fault codes read? should they be cleared then drive the car and re read or read when off or running??

I really dont see it being pump but would that show on a scan?

Drives
    Astra SXI

There will probably be some characteristics that are changed by the engine being warm, be it fuel pressure or pump timing...etc. It might run fine when it is cold but a slight change is enough to throw it out. I would still suggest double checking the pump timing, especially if you say it is new! There is a chance it has been timed up wrong.

Yes, it is perfectly feasable to be the pump.

As I said before, I don't even think these engines have ECUs, so you will be lucky to find any fault codes! You might have to actually do some old-fashioned diagnostics. lmao

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    xe corsa tb`s nos

even the fans have a control module eveything is electronic even the pump and these (if it is the same as mine) are renowned for going wrong and if you get it scanned it will give you information to point to the problem but i always advise taking it to vauxhall as they are better set up to diagnose it, and before you panic a scan round this way at the main dealer is something like 40 +vat

Drives
    Astra SXI

Ah, I'm very sorry! I'm thinking of a mk3 for some reason, a V-reg would be a mk4. I stand corrected!

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Well today it has been perfect, no missing, hesitation or wierdness. let it tick over on standstill this morning and it started doing it again, gon e out for about three hours today and notone problem. Just a little smokey. wel a fair bit when i rev HARD. and a few puff's etc when pulling out from a junction or a little bit when chaging gear. This normal?

Drives
    Astra SXI

Yeah, completely. You've started talking about it behind your back and now it's pulling a face. Rest assured that it will give up on you when you're 400 miles from home. lmao

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Lol, well it did do it today, got it fault code read
    po400 critical system
    injector pump malfunction

po725 rpm sensor no signal
    p1335 injection pump no rpm

These point to crankshaft sensor after some researching, the po400 doesnt look good, but when searching that code any where it says egr related??

well its mostly ok and very hit and miss i suppose, doing it less than more.

Just not liking the pulling from a junction and occasionally leaving smoke......

+ Reply to Thread