Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

coolant vanishing?!?! erm......

630 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Benn 
#1 ·
Right, before anyone mentions the head gasket there is no overheating, no rough running, no smoke (other then a little vapour at startup), no mayo absolutly no symptoms of a head gasket failure!

However my coolent is slowly going down, i can hear the sounds of air running through the system from the heater matrix, however the pipes stay pressurized?!?

Im lost and so is my coolent, i cant see a leak, i have tried to bleed the system, please tell me someone knows or has an inkling on whats going on!!

Its a C12NZ, water pump ok, and thermostat stuck open

#3 ·
Re: coolent vanishing?!?! erm......

no symptoms of headgasket failiure u say? lmao

does the cooling system stay pressurised over night and hiss when you undo the cap?

what tends to happen is the headgasket rots itself from a water way to the cyclinder, when running compression forces air and fuel into your water and gives you the bubbling sound. your water may smell of petrol as well.
the water is being forced from pipe joins when running as well as leaking into a cyclinder when not running. you may get a slight misfire on a cold start.

#4 ·

no misfire on first start, im not sure if they stay pressurized over night, i got a drive to baisingstoke monday so ill have a look, the water dont smell of petrol, just the old (and quite oddly) fishy smell, its new coolent about a year old now, if there is air/fuel getting into the water ways i can understand the noise, but where is the coolent going? i doubt its getting into the cylinder! i looked into the cylinders whilst checking the plugs and there was nothing but a what apparently seems normal black colour to the crowns.
Paul its stuck open cos all the water leaked out and i didnt notice till i got home from work.

#6 ·

Have you checked around your heater matrix inside the car ? Are the carpets damp around the center console area ?

#7 ·

no bone dry! & no rusty plugs, small deposit on no 4 plug but other then that nadda, bubkiss, naff all,

#10 ·

Novaguy
I had exactly the same problem on my V6 Vectra. There was no sign of a leak on my engine anywhere no mayo but the water slowly disappears. I had a sniff test done. Even though it didn't change to the full colour there was some change. I do recommend you get a sniff test done. If it fails the test, the cheap option is putting K Seal into the coolant!
Hope that helps:)

#11 ·

i know a guy who might do it cheaper then a tenner, but regardless im pretty sure that the headgasket is very slighty ruptured :( not something i want to have to do mainly as i aint got the cash for a gasket set! (**** :()

#14 ·
im not sure what im going to do, would rather do it properly as that way i can give the head a clean up and maybe get some more power out of it or replace it with a better one lol its working for now so im not panicing about it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.