Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

cav turbo rad slightly expands,why!

378 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Jamie C 
#1 ·
when putting in my turbo engine friend of mine decided to hit it with the actuator and guess what it started to leak 2 months later anyway took it out i think its now repaired will find out in sunday.
i notuiced that the strip of metal in the middle had fallen of i think this keeps it all in line, when the car gets warm the rad slightly expands, release the cap or when it goes cold it goes back to normal.
is this happening due to the strip of metal in the middle missing or is it due to a nother problem like head gasket.
there is only a slight kink in the water system in pipe which goes from rad to thermostat.

#2 ·
I'm not sure about the Cav turbo but I know on the Cossies that when your rad starts "bowing" it's more often or not a head gasket problem pressurising the water system. Are you running more boost than standard?
Try hovering an MOT exhaust gas tester just above the water level in the expansion tank when the car is ticking over. Any HC reading could be bad news.

Mike

#4 ·
what would the higher boost do can it damage the head gasket if so how does everyone mange to run phase 1-3 chips on tandard gaskets.
also boost has only been high a few ocassions but i do have water injection and front mounted intercooler.

#5 ·
If you are worried about poss head gasket failure pressurising the rad then its an easy check to do yourself, no need for gas testers or nowt.

Next time you take the car out let it warm up properly, driving normal, then check top and bottom rad hoses by giving em a squeeze, try holding the throttle as well at bout 2000 rpm and give em another squeeze at same time, if hoses are feeling pretty damn soloid then pressure (more than normal system pressure) is getting into the water system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.