Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Slow XEs

4K views 110 replies 23 participants last post by  saabturbonova 
#1 ·
I have seen/been in a few coras and novas of late fitted with XE engines.
Most of which were no where near as fast as they ought to be,and I think a lot of the time ,lads come on mig asking about performance mods ect..havent even got standard power to start with.

I think this is an age issue as a lot of conversions are mix and match parts,maybe motronic 2.5/2.8 sensors mixed up...?Smokey engines destroying the lamda?

Anyway what I want to say is before any mods the engine should be tip top ie,new lamda,AFM,lifters....This will give more power than expensive cams on a high mileage engine..I know the more technical guys know this but I keep seeing cars being built with people missing this point.

I had a few of GTE 16Vs when they were a lot newer and they were razor sharp,I recall sitting on the boot of standard 3 door cozzys and scoobs,the cars ive been in recently arnet much faster than a corsa GSI!

#34 ·
dont. keep going and get on vaux-extreme.com, we'll help all we can. that goes for you too lugy! and all other saab-vaux hybrids. where are you mate? i got laid off end of nov. so i know. i just broke my xe nova drag car so i can buy xmas pressies.

#35 ·
Better mention slow XEs quick before we get accused of going off topic...
On SBD site it says some cranks have more/less teeth for the crank sensor- if this is correct some conversions have wrong timing??????

PS-may have to break it...or put the XE back in and try again later,ive already broken the purple 2.3 cal to pay for xmas.

#36 ·
i head that too summat bout 60-2 teeth and 52-2? if so theres some big losses made. i like sbd stuff its just far too pricey. there is omne more holy grail......
the swindon reverse head engine.....................................

p.s your 2.3 cally? have you still got the lump?

#39 ·
Engine -sold to saab 9000 owner
go tec -sold to mate with RST also had injectors ect...
Turbo - given back to my cousin as i never payed for it
Shell - amthill scrap along with F20!
Borbet As - going on my MX5 (shut up! I like my MX5)
Leather - in my black one.

#41 ·
Yeah,I wanna live the dream,400bhp torque steer,chasing evo's in a calibra...
PPC said they will feture it as well,and chip is looking into the how to guide in TV,but my missis isn't happy with me working on the car when I should be looking for a job ect..

I realise what a ground breaking conversion this is and would love to show people the way,so I hope january is better than december...

Are you turning the head round yourself? my mate tried to do that once.
Dont the cams run backwards? Is there enough room in a nova to get the ex manifold
next to the bulkhead?
I believe the cav touring cars did it to get more air in the throttle bodies.

#42 ·
there is alot moreto it than just spinning the head. there is 2 ways. 1 to use bodies on the exhaust side, and the zorst on the inlet and use aftermarket management. the otherway.......

use the mi16 pug head. its bores an bolts line up its the little bits that are tricky. but its not worth it unless you o crazy spec.

#46 ·
The v6 saab is cheating a bit as it was originally a vaux engine,there is somthing on calibra v6 . net about this.....good idea though as it goes in easily and is turbo'd

Going off topic......I bet all most XEs need is a new lamda-mine did.

@saabturbonova,
Thanks for support mate.:beer: Soon as I have sorted priority 1- me and astrasaloon will finish the build in a week. All is well as long as priority 1 doesn't take too long!

#48 ·
i can' belive how u all think the xe should die :(
yeh obviously they are getting old, and yes their power isn't amazing for todays standard but common its still a great motor(unless it gives me a mechanical problem again grrr)
if everyone switched to ford, volvo saab ect ect and the xe became rare
its popularity will get boosted up again i bet u all

#50 ·
no diesel power is 200bhp

#51 ·
oh ok, i suppose the neglecting people would be kids like me 18 y o onwards who can only afford so much and i know the xe is cheap
how long (kilometres) do xe's go for befor power starts dropping? obviously it varys very much but i'm asuming it gets serviced on time but does get driven enthusiasticly often and why wouldnt you lol.
i now work at mercedes and get to drive the 4cyl kompressors, v6's and v8's and alittle of amg and i've gotten use to their power so maybe i shouldn't get my hopes up but i'm excited anyway.

I would also like someone to tell me of a motor that is 2.0l 16v that makes more power than the xe stock and you cannot choose a motor that has vvt
i know there should be some but are there alot?

#53 ·
Im loving this thread! its a problem thats needed addressing for a while, the XE is a phenominal engine respected throughout the performance community. But since idiots with corsas that think after 20 years the "red-top" they've just bought off their mate will still run 150bhp and rip it straight out of a tired GTE and bang it in their ex-1.2 without so much as a filter change! and wonder why they've been done by a saxo!!! then everyone see's how the old classic "isnt fast" when its knocking, flashing up all kinds of faults and the oil resembles tar. i love this engine but the sooner its put to bed the better because due to people like this its losing its much deserved respect!!

As for a replacement i like the saab idea also is it worth looking in to the Ford 2.0 16v zetec "silver top" i know these engines are basically the same as an XE but a lot lighter, newer and just as powerful.

#59 ·
but da saab engine (that no one seems to have actually proven to be fitted and running) iz wikkid init. And of course 100% the reason to ban people from websites for talkiing about too....honest.... erm get a grip

Z22SE ftw... aly block, same torque as a TB'd XE, "reverse" head for pub bullsheeeeet claims etc.

#56 ·
ok i understand that newer motors are more powerful, more efficient and lighter but still why would u guys all of a sudden want to drop the xe? technically it was dropped when it went out of production and many people still favoured them, why does it have to change now? them old school american ppl still fix up their carb v8's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.