Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Would people use these rods?

1K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  Pantera 
#1 ·
#31 ·
where...Steel research labs,

how.... pulling the rod apart from both its ends and subjecting it to the greatest force that it will experience when revving mad at 10,000RPM, and then also performing a compression test where you would then see how much the rods can cope with equivalent of a piston downward force before it starts to bend or etc, all being monitores by laser measurements.

i know such labs exists and are widely used for testing structural steel used in bridges and buildings to test strength and other properties of a steel. and some smaller engineering companies must be able to do these tests on engine components, i am sure, though i am guessing.

#34 ·
and ultimate tensile strength won't tell you that much about rods breaking I'll warrant.

#35 ·
I agree with your statement as forces being applied on a test rig are applied uniformly in a smooth incremental fashion, and are therefore different to forces subjected inside an engine revving mad, where sudden thrust on a rod would probably bend/crack as well as the action of other forces acting on that rod may break them at a much lower stress value than on a rig. :beer:

#36 ·
recipricol stresses is what kills them, i.e. compression->tension->compression->tension, etc. Plus obscene one off forces of course! lol

I certainly wouldn't bother chancing non-make rods with no feeling of backup, they certainly won't have been Xray'd.

I'm extremely biased aswell though as I am currently selling a set of unused Farndon rods for the 20XE/LET for £450 delivered! lmao

#40 ·
I paid R3500 for Scat rods here in south africa about 8 months ago in pounds that would be 231 pounds. They are scat and look identical to the ones available from ebay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.