Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Help needed asap, buying a new van with some probs. Y17DT.

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sigibbons 
#1 ·
Hello, im possibly trading my astravan for a newer one with a few problems.
There is a glow plug which has snapped, aparently just spinning and wont come out, the plugs were aparently the cause of the EML on and it going into limp mode?

There is a whistling/whining noise from the inlet between 2.5k and 4k revs? Some oil on the turbo, but noise is not anywhere near the turbo, its up by the inlet.

When idling, you turn the steering and it makes a funny wherring noise, louder that other power steering ive heard.

I've got the give the guy an answer tomo, oh its a 2000 astravan with an Isuzu y17dt engine in it, thats just been put in as the old motor failed.

Thanks!!

#2 ·
unless you have the ability to repair it all yourself it would need to be very cheap i think..... whistle is probly the manifold gasket leaking or the egr sticking glow plug could mean a new cylinder head if it cant be removed with an easy out..turbo's are aways oily inside on td's.. power steering could simply be low on oil? i dont know if that one would be on electric or manual pump tho.

#3 ·
Think its electric steering on this model. Basicly i would give this guy £200 and my astravan 1999 2L, 165k with £150 worth of parts to get through the MOT now due.
The new van has MOT for a good few months.

So i'm trying to weigh up whats best to do.

Will the thing cause any damage driving with the glow plug not working and wont come out?

#5 ·
Ive bought it. And this ive done well really! Much nice to drive better interior etc mint condition.
My mate squeezed a pipe going to the EGR valve and the whistling noise was gone so we think its a broken EGR maybe? Still feels a little down on power, sluggish to pull away and the engine managment lights on. Still drivable for the time being though :)

Im pretty pleased.

#6 ·
the glow plug sounds nasty, probably head off /swap job to fix it.

the whistle is probably boost pressure escapeing from a badly sealed joint, posibly causeing the limp mode. could be coming through a broken egr valve.

is it the emissions light or eng management lite? the engine shape is emmissions, car with a spanner in it is engine fault. either way get the faults read to be sure, may be from engine swap?

steering noise is prob low fluid, check for leaks after rushed fitting.

#7 ·
To get the glow plug out you will need to take the head off, free the stuck tip end ( not easy sometimes), re-screw the plug body and then extract the whole plug.
I have done a few Derv's where the glow plug is stuck fast the tip and the glow plug unit unscrewed. Tis very annoying if that is all you are intending to do.

If anyone has a way of getting it out without removing the head I'd love to know.
i hope you handy with spanner m8, as a garage bill may not make this such a good deal.

Out of interest what was up with the old van?

#8 ·
Thanks for the info.
The old van was basicly a dog, tatty, dented and the egine had done 165k and was noisy and leaking oil.
The new one is a minter and is so much quieter and smoother, pleased at the moment.

The glow plugs dont seem to be an issue really, van starts perfectly in these temps we have been having (-3). The light that comes on sometimes is kinda an engine shape i guess with a lightening strike inside it.

I will look at the EGR this weekend, ive a feeling this is causing the van to be a little slow and the light coming on.

Thinking about a bigger IC and remap when the engines sweet :) Ive heard 120bhp is possible with just those!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.