Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Clutch Problem (i think)

568 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Nobbie 
#1 ·
When i start the car from cold there is a squeak come rome the engine bay sounds bit like a slipping belt.
But when i depress the clutch peddle the noise tends to go away.
Any ideas i have never know a clutch to make that noise when it is on its way out.

#6 ·
I suggested the belts cos when your driving and you put your foot on the clutch the revs drop to a speed where the belts don't slip anymore so they stop squeeking, of course from hear I've no idea what the sound is actually like.

Where about in Chester do you live? I used to live near there and actually miss it, its the nicest place/town I've lived near and wouldn't mind moving back.

Dan

#8 · (Edited)
yeah i was gonna say exactly what nightrider did.

Mine used to squeek allot, i know for sure it wasnt the belts too loose or knackered cause i replaced and tightened them. My money is on either the altenator shaft bushes, or the power steering pump shaft.

Ive noticed mine hasnt squeeked for ages, and i ditched power steering a while ago, coincidence ? maybe.

#10 ·
Just wondered if you have tried checking for a clutch problem.
Put the hand brake on and try to pull away in 1st, if the engine revvs increase but you go nowhere and there is now mothine, etc then the clutch may actually be at fault. If it stalls, or the front of the car lifts its okay.

Just a quick thought, as i'm bored!!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.