Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

SBD Taper Throttle Kit 208HP

596 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Giles 
#1 ·
Hi

Does anybody know if it's possible to fit the SBD taper throttle kit to a mk2 astra gte without having to move the brake servo? The SBD website says it cant but I have seen a few people who say it is possible, HELP!

I understand that the brake servo pipes will need to be moved which is an easy job but is it possible to fit this kit without modifying the brake servo position as I think this is beyond my expertise. I was looking at the SBD multi throttle kit 196HP however I understand the taper throttle kit is better due to each individual throttle body being able to be adjusted separately to the others.

If it can be fitted, is it possible to fit an airbox with this kit as I wouldnt want the throttle bodies to be sucking in all of the hot engine bay air.

Thanks everyone!

#3 ·
Did you notice much difference in the car when you fitted the kit ie performance, induction noise. Also, do you need a cold air feed to the throttle bodies? By the way, are you the Gary that owns the yellow GTE on SBD's website? Mint car!! Do you have any more engine bay pictures of your car just so I can see how you have routed the servo pipes / pressure valve.
Thanks

#5 ·
yep that's me - though I haven't had the car now for a few years.

If you're coming from standard induction, then it'll be a significant jump in performance - personally, I noticed the extra mid range from the 208 kit (versus the 196) - but top end was about the same really - a set of 225 cams and pocketed pistons though transforms it, and makes a very nice driveable engine setup.. do budget for a decent manifold & exhaust, and a mapping session with someone who knows what they're doing.

Induction noise is huge, don't underestimate it!

I don't have any more pics to hand I'm afraid - it's been awhile :)

#6 ·
I thought that pocketed pistons and 225 cams are only needed on the SBD 225 kit. Aren't the standard pistons and cams ok for the 208 set up? Also, are the stock rods ok for this set up with some ARP bolts or are steel con rods a must?

I'm not planning on putting any more power in the XE after the 208 kit to keep the reliability (and the car out of a hedge!) however I would like to maintain the characteristics of a standard engine ie decent idle.

With regard to the cold air feed, I take it a subaru type bonnet vent would be best?

#7 ·
yes - the 225 kit is the next logical step up from the 208, and would be as far as I would take a road engine.

The vent on mine was a genuine early impreza one - worked really well, much better than an airbox imo.

Standard internals (providing everything is in good shape) are fine for the 208 kit, with a 7750 limit - ARPs are required though.

Assuming you put a 208 kit on an otherwise standard engine, and retain the stock exhaust, expect a genuine 190 - if it's setup well. A good manifold and system will let you get closer to 200, and headwork will take it further still, to a max of about 210 if everything is spot on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.