Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

comparison ....... lsd or tc

541 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  ChrisB 
#1 ·
pros and cons of ....... quaife lsd in comparison to tc ...

and can they be used in conjunction or does the tc ruin the effects of lsd?

#2 ·
LSD is infinately better than traction control, its not even a close comparison.

TC just cuts power to the wheels, to illiminate wheels spin. Slip diff just divides power equaly to each driven wheel, which increases grip in all driving conditions, most noticeably cornering.

#3 ·
The power has to transfered to the road.
Mostly the power is divided over two wheels.
In ideal circumstances its 50/50 (both tyres, same resitance, same torque, same speed)

If one wheel spins its no longer 50/50.
The diff-working then "splits" the revs/power to the wheel that turns the lightest ie the spinning wheel.
The non-spinning wheel gets as much torque as the spinning wheel.

LSD as the word says limits the diffence in revs between the two wheels and so enhances the force that the non spinning wheel can apply to the road.
Conclusion: LSD gives more traction in tricky situations.

TC cuts down engine power, hoping the spinning wheel will regain grip. (one system)
Some TC systems apply the brake on the spinning wheel, simulating tracktion on the spinning wheel and by doing so, imitates a lsd.

conlusion: TC limits problems when loosing traction. The sophisticated systems (MB-BMW) can save the car when doing stupid things.

My opinion:
If you have a high powerd car, and experience traction problems, the right way is:
- optimise road-wheel contact (suspension-shocks)
- fit LSD
- TC(last resort or the only way to keep the beast under control when first and second option didn't give the wanted effect.)

(when I read this my self it looks a bit blurry, but you'll get the picture)

#4 ·
i put this up cos i should be getting a astra gsi before too long and (hopefuly correct on this one) i believe that most come with tc ....

i have read many love storied between drivers and their quaifes (seem to be the ones people go on about most) ....

could i get one for the gsi ...... if so i believe it would be in my best interest to dissable the tc ..

is this correct .....

as i have never owned a car with abs ..... how would the lsd effect the braking ...... or is the abs completely down to the calipers??? (i think i may need abs .... i keep locking my wheels up at stupid speeds at the moment ..... stupid junction .... i can never remember where it is .... its been twice in the last month ... and by the time i release the brakes there is a blue cloud behind me)

#5 ·
As Ronald has said, have the quaife and if your still struggling, use TC.

They both offer functions which an uncomparable to each other, and do not interfere with each other.

You can have an LSD, and have TC on. This way you will have the best grip available, all of the time.

An LSD will benefit a car with TC just as much as it would benefit a car without TC.

#7 ·
Gr@vel said:
.... i keep locking my wheels up at stupid speeds at the moment ..... stupid junction .... i can never remember where it is .... its been twice in the last month ... and by the time i release the brakes there is a blue cloud behind me)
Fast locking wheels: possibilities; :confused:

1- wobbly roadsurface and not the best shocks
2- Tyres with hard rubber compound (or plain cheap ones)
3- Tyres at the wrong pressure (to hard)
4- Driver over reacting, just to hard braking.

What speed is stupid speed?:p:

#8 ·
bout 95 with only 30-40m to stop ... my car is standard with crap tyres yet good brakes ..... i did manage to stop the second time ... i had to cos there was a pug pottering allong the adjoining road ... first time i had no chance and was extreemly fortunate that the road was clear

#9 ·
Gr@vel said:
bout 95 with only 30-40m to stop ...... first time i had no chance and was extreemly fortunate that the road was clear
95 (miles?) and 30-40 meters; Very, very fortunate.

Something must be wrong; 60 mph to 0 normaly thakes 40-50 meters.

Lucky you, my advice these speeds, somewhere where your not that often and don't know the road, dont do it.

#10 ·
hey if your fronts are locking then ( i assume your motor has drums on the rear) it is most likely that your rears are not working effectivly, so works the same as a bike when you brake ie: the rear comes up more. a simple test is to press the foot brake without the handbrake on then put the handbrake on, if the pedal feels better then the backs need attention.

#12 ·
ronald said:

95 (miles?) and 30-40 meters; Very, very fortunate.

Something must be wrong; 60 mph to 0 normaly thakes 40-50 meters.

Lucky you, my advice these speeds, somewhere where your not that often and don't know the road, dont do it.
i knew the corner was there somewhere so i had probably backed off somewhat so that figure is probably way out .... but it was over 70 definatly!!

#13 ·
so does anyone know where i should look to price one up ... as the company is american and does not know that vaux exists
An LSD from Quaife? They are a british company based in Kent.

http://www.quaife.co.uk/

I guess you found http://www.quaifeamerica.com/ which is just a US sales bit of the UK company.

The ATB LSD is around £450 from memory. Everyone who has bought one seems to love it to bits. lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.