Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

serious fuel problem cant get rid of it HELP NEEDED PLEEEEEASE

976 views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  vauxhall16v 
#1 ·
hi im after some help for my car its been tanning way to much fuel for a year now and i cannot find what is wrong with it reward for whoever shows me in the direction of the problem :nod: ;)

right,

Engine: cav gsi early C20XE
car: astra sport 1995

problem:

firstly ive had this in my das mates garage hooked up to computers and done all tests comp test etc and they onlly came up with faulty leads so bought new 1s

basicly lacking the general pull and not as free reving as others i have had
it does go but it has to be moving to feel the pull moving off isnt too great

firstly my EML comes on with ign and gos of when started and never comes on while driving ever,

on my trip computer the best av MPG i can get is 18-19 and thats totally crusing on the motorway:mad:,
i used to get 28-32/33 MPG with a blown head gasket so sumthing has went wrong since i changed gasket as it was fine when all back together i made sure to check everything twice over but when driven a day later properly it was slugish

ive bought new plugs, new leads, new CTS, new cap, rotor arm, changed crank sensor, changed coil and ign amp, changed ECU, lambda isnt old, new earths all round engine, tryed various ICV's,

ive probly done more but cant think right now im getting more annoyed as i type:mad:

timing is fine checked it over and over, wiring is sound ive checked as much as i can pulling back sleaves on plugs etc,

now ive fitted gte digi clocks it my mk3 dashboard would this cause any mess-ups on the MPG reader?

even if it did im still going thru £10-£20 fuel a day,

even if anyone has a little idea ill try it im thinking it has to be somthing non Engine management related

would fuel tank vent valve cause anyhting like this?

as i said before if some1 can point me in the direction of the problem then i will promise to reward them few cans or whatever

thanks for taking the time to look cheers :beer:

See less See more
#2 ·
well it could be
air filter clogged - atm?
fuel injection system fault
ignition timing incorrect / ignition system fault
tyres under inflated

always do a good fuel system clean for peak mpg and power ?

do a manual check on how much fuel is in the tank and actually record the mileage for peace of mind?

#18 ·
unless notch out on the belt.
That's what I was thinking; might be worth triple checking just to make absolutely sure.

yeah ill have to try and source a known working one if any1 knows?
I wouldn't bother getting a second hand one. They really only last for about 30'000 miles before they're too covered in crap to work anyway. Get a new one for £30 from Just Lambda and you're laughing.

#13 ·
have u tried getting it warmed up and unplugging the coolant sensor and shorting the terminals so it thinks the engine is cold? you should be able to tell if the "choke" comes on, if you cant then it was probably on "choke" already. if that was faulty it wud drink fuel im sure.

i cant think what else could be wrong, any air leaks? like split hoses or one that you didnt connect. maybe manifold gasket ?

#29 ·
so this

have u tried getting it warmed up and unplugging the coolant sensor and shorting the terminals so it thinks the engine is cold? you should be able to tell if the "choke" comes on, if you cant then it was probably on "choke" already. if that was faulty it wud drink fuel im sure.

is useless??

#30 ·
its not a choke used in the same way as old carbs, ie i throttle flap to limit the amout of air getting it, its works of the cts sensor, when its cold it gives a signal to the ecu, when it gets hot it send a differet signal to the ecu, the cts sensor works of risistance, so if the sensor is duff or the wiring is broke it will give the ecu a signal of a cold engine and it overfuels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.