Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

strange xe problem

2K views 56 replies 10 participants last post by  Nobbie 
#1 · (Edited)
i have an early type xe from a cav gsi in my mk3 astra

the problem is that under heavy acceleration the engine man light comes on

and it will stay on untill driving normally 40 -60

now i used to get up to 38 mpg untill i changed the head to a later type coilpack one two weeks ago now im lucky to get 18mpg:mad:

somestimes ill get a missfire mostly when engine has just been started from cold untill 30 40 miles then it will stop missfiring

trip computer says inst cons of 0.6 gal when cold then goes down to 0.4 gal when warm should this not be 0.2 gal when warm?:confused:

also the idleing seems to high not overly high but fractionly think its 1050 - 1150prm on idle

ive tryed various diffrent icv's this one seems the best out of them

timing has been set-up by taking lower pulley off and lining up mark on crank 2 mark on oil pump and cam pulleys lined up to rocker marks

so timings fine to best of my knowledge

im unsure why they have a mark on the side of the crank pullet to go to the pointer whats the point in that? if its never used?:(

cts is brand new two days ago:nod:

dizzy cap isnt that old looks ok and terminals have been cleaned inside

wedge has been removed from butterfly in throttle body

checked for noticable breaks in wiring

ive tryed more things but cannot think:doh:

at the price of petrol just now where i live :)mad:£1.09 per L:mad:) i cannot afford to be wasting this much petrol every day i have about a 70- 80 mile round trip to and from work every day

some1 if you have any ideas i can try please help me

(edit)

just had my car put on computer at garage

co2 is ment to be sumthing like 0.6.. but is up at 12.40s

when turning the screw on the airflow its makes no diff what so ever

could this be why eng man light staying on ? airflow is breaking down under load?

See less See more
#3 ·
sounds like a lambda death, unplug it and see what happens.

#10 ·
the three main things that cause over fueling are:

1) faulty coolant temp sensor (i assume you canged it because of the fault, also it was the 2 pin sensor for the ecu not the dash one?) if not it could be faulty

2)faulty lambda sensor (i'd put my money on this) if it's been over fueling then it may have killed it.

3) faulty air flow meter

other things that may affect fueling are timing and a weak spark (dizzy,coil,ht leads ect)

#11 ·
thanks buddy

was the ecu sensor yes

my lambda has been bought brand new not long ago

could be the airflow but would this not make man light stay on?

timings fine 100% sure ill have to change dizzy and coil right now ill buy leads at end of month

even then tho these leads are not that old a year maybe

#12 ·
if it was a cheapie, it could have failed that quick.

#13 ·
the lambda sensor mate? wasnt a cheap one was bought from bosch but it like a francise company or something ntk it think it was called £60

thanks for this guys getting my mixture checked tomorro after work on the machine hope itll read right with a grp n chip and de-cat?

trip was saying 0.6 wen cold and still 0.4 when warm that aint right is it?

#16 ·
i would say the heavy overfueling has killed the lambda sensor hence the error's what fuel pressure reg have you got on the car? are there any modifications to the engine? if its overfueling that badly i'd suspect either the ariflow meter of the coolant temp sensor. you didn't say if you changed it because of the fault or not. did you get the hydocarbon emissions (unburnt fuel) have you taken the spark plugs out to see what condition they are in?

#18 ·
#
engines normall bar the group n ecu

im 99% sure its the airflow now as it was ffine before and turning the mixture screw should at least do something to it but it is not

changed what because of the fault? the cts? yes i did the old one was fine

plugs have heavy signs of overfueling mate thanks

#19 ·
strange one, but event ho you say the lamba is new does not mean its faulty. im guessing if your not sure its the lamba etc, my money would be on something done when you changed the head over. either the leads are on wrong etc, did you change the plugs, and check the connectors that you put the right one back on. it could be as simple as a vacume pipe disconnected causing the problem ie fuel reg.

also where abouts are you. if you fill that on your details there might be someone in your area who could offer to help you out.

#21 ·
have you got a standard airbox fitted? when was the airfilter changed last? how long has the group n ecu been on the car? was it running ok with that ecu? might be worth trying a standard ecu if you know anyone that can lend you one as after all this is what controls the engine (might be worth it just to rule it out)

#22 ·
best of luck. tbh i do think its the lamba. i had this on the let, didnt missfire just felt slugish, and down motorays etc the light would come one. but didnt stay on for two long. when i replaced the lamba i have not seen it come on again. and i have heard a few people with problems on after market lambas, i would of thought a faulty airflow would stay on tho. it seems intermitant.

#25 ·
its not the lambda mate trust me ive got two manifolds and they both have the same lambda other one off the car is newer and they both the same

its got a wee biot better since playing around last night i tapped on airflow loads an on way home was getting 25mpg not great but best it has been for few weeks

airflow might just be breaking down under load mate dosnt have to keep light on all the time altho its has done with other airflows on me

#27 ·
ok fair enough then. i'd suggest changing the plugs as they won't be helping the situation check the ht leads are round the correct way and you get a good spark from each i had a 20seh that buggered about with misfiring due to a failing ht lead. also try another lambda sensor just to rule it out, think i have one knocking around that was ok i could send it to you to try if you havent got anyone that can lend you one locally

#32 ·
ok just trying to rule things out, id check the spark from each ht lead at a time and see what they are like. if that doesn't work drop me a pm with your address and i'll send you the spare sensor i have for you to try. (obviously i would like it back after though)

#35 ·
yea anno

just changed afm and its allot better yes but still only 17-19 mpg rubbish really

could the new head be causeing this? i bought it off ebay checked over when arrived looked fine but its a coilpack head

any1 that can be bothered tell me everything that can be causing this and ill work my way down it

if its the lambda shold it run better uand have better mpg unplugged?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.