Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

supercharger layout

2K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  chargeme 
#1 ·
does any one have pics of different super charger piping layouts ie where air mass, by pass valve ,charger and throttle body can go can the throttle go after the charger?

#4 ·
xe blower

his web doesnt work any more
i have the charger and its mounted on the car (has bin for months) but now im at the stage where i need to pipe it in was goin to put a filter on in inlet side of the charger then the charger then air mass then throttle body then inlet
i know others do it different but cant see how it wouldnt work
air mass is still measuring whats goin in and throttle body is letting in what my foot asks it to and the by pass valve will recirculate any waste back to the intake side of the charger want presure has dropped does that sound like it would work? any one know why not?
its only set up to do 8psi max and i have a control valve to adjust to suite ecu is standard all that ive changed is a 1.9mm epesso head gasket to lower the compression a bit

#5 ·
The centrifugal supercharger enjoys several advantageous characteristics that make it the most popular supercharger design in the aftermarket world. First, it is simple and reliable because it has very few moving parts - just a few gears and the impeller. Second, the centrifugal supercharger produces very little heat because of its internal compression ratio. It is also small in size and very versatile because it can "free-wheel" and allow the engine to suck air through it or even flow air backwards. For this reason it can be placed anywhere in the intake tract - it can even "blow through" the throttle body, meaning it can be mounted nearly anywhere. It is also the most thermally efficient supercharger, meaning that it produces the lowest discharge temperature

#7 ·
you need to put the air filter then mass air, supercharger then throttle body if it is a centrifugal type. You want to be sucking through the mass air sensor not blowing into it. also dont have the mass air to close to the inlet cos it wont work cos it gets all confused by the turbulance.

#9 ·
you need to put the air filter then mass air, supercharger then throttle body if it is a centrifugal type. You want to be sucking through the mass air sensor not blowing into it.
Forgive my ignorance but why would that make a difference? Won't the AFM read the same? High flow, low pressure (sucking through) or lower flow, higher pressure (blowing onto)...Total flowed will be the same?

#11 ·
afm before the charger is pretty much at atmospheric pressure, so it read flow properly, after theres heat in the aircharge which increases with boost pressure, so it will read wrong.

#18 ·
it would make life so much easer if the throttle body stayed where it was.
i cant see why it would have to move if i put the pipe from the ic valve before the charger and then maybe a dump valve in the pipe leading up to the throttle body from the charger and have a spring set to 6psi and the vacuum pipe on the inlet (for the dump valve) then surely when the throttle slams shut the dump valve would open to prevent over charge and the ic valve will let the car idle or am i way off?

#22 ·
right i have a xe engine and have put a electric pas pump off a mk4 astra on changed the pullys to the newer type xe with the serpentine belt that goes round all 3 ie crank , alternater and pas
i have mounted an eaton m62 charger off a mercedes c230 kompressor in place of the pas pump
i have taken off the clutch mech on the eaton and had a new pully wheel made to give off 7psi rebuit the engine with a 1.9mm gasket and am now at the stage where i need to make the pipe work from and to the charger i understand it normaly goes filter, air mass filter , ic valve pipe ,throttle body, eaton,intercooler, inlet manfold.
i know i need a by pass valve either side of the eaton but cant see why the throttle body need s to be before and why it cant be inbetween the intercooler and the inlet manifold if i use a dump valve or some thing?

#24 ·
i belevie it goes air filter, AFM, then you'll need a bypass, to the ICV leaving it where it is under the manifold, throttle body, charger, intercooler, dump valve, manifold! thats how i would imagen it goes! could you please send me some pictures as i want to supercharger my astra gsi!

#25 ·
it all depends sholudnt need a dumpvalve if the charger is fitted with an actuator but mine isnt so think it needs its own by pass valve
theres not much to see at the mo mines off a merc and ive had the pully wheel made, removed the pas pump and mounted the charger in its place very tight fit!!!
removed the charger for now to stop ****e getting into it.
the pas was off a mk4 astra and is mounted where the standard pas resivour is mines an (astra gsi aswell)
i need to change the crank and alternator wheels aswell to the later xe and run a single belt round them all.
getting more parts ie piping from a show in a few week so will be putting the charger back on so will take some pics then and let you know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.