Vectra 2.2 DTi - Hard to start from cold.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vectra 2.2 DTi - Hard to start from cold.

MIGWeb User
    Drives

Vectra 2.2 DTi - Hard to start from cold.

Rite lads,

My 2.2dti vectra had sat for about 5months before i got it. On a morning it struggles to start, takes 2 or 3 attemps before she fires up, and when she does she chucks a bit of smoke out the exhaust. It only does this in the morning, the rest of the day it will start 1st time evey time.

Its just had a fuel filter, oil and filter change last week but its still struggling to start 1st thing in the morning.

I have yet to see a glow plug light come on the dash (does the 2.2 16v dti have a glow plug light) once the ignition is turned on the oil and eml come on, the eml then goes off after a second or 2 but thats it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    John

2. Remove Advertisements
    MigWeb.co.uk
    Advertisements

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Glow plugs??? But arent they only needed if its below 3C??

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Xp'd elite...
    John,
    a couple of things to look out for
    1. is the EML coming on when cold starting?
    if so try replaceing the Glowplugs

2. have a look at the bleed off(fuel return pipes) at the injectors if they look wet or have gone quite hard then it could well be that they are allowing air in to the system and the fuel is draininh back to the tank

hope this helps mate

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Hi Darren,

If i turn the ignition on the dash lights come on as normal, oil, batt and eml. The eml goes off after a second or two without me trying to start the car (im assuming this is normal). Its not actually coming on when the car is started so theres no fault being flagged.

There is no glow plug light coming on either, im assuming this is due to it being warm outside now and the glow plugs arent needed? or should the light come on with the ignition regardless??

Ill have it the fuel return pipes checked at my mates garage.

As usual thanks for all your help mate
    John

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Xp'd elite...
    It might be an idea to have the glow plug wiring/relay checked too, im not 100% sure but i think the glow plug light should still come on even if its only for a split second.

Drives
    '96 Calibra Tur
    Glowplug light shouldn't come on, as has been said till its below 6'C (from memory).

If you really want to test the light, unplug the 2 pin sensor connector on the thermostat housing. It'll then stay on for 15-20 seconds as it thinks its -20'C.

The problem will undoubtedly be due to air in the fuel system. Either leak off pipes or in the fuel filter canister.

Filter canister is the round black container at the top right of the engine bay with a single screw securing its lid. Remove the lid (prepare for spillage) and double check that the O-ring seal is in decent condition and sealing with the lid on.

The leak off pipes is the most common problem. New pipe and 3 T's is about 18 from a main dealer and only 30 minutes to change. Hardest part is getting off the old pipes. But if you twist them to break the seal then pull its easy enough.

The pipes are on the front of the engine, all connected by T's. They get old/brittle and let air in which gives the problem which you describe.

Had it on my Y22DTR too but solved with new pipes
    Originally posted by mranlet (locostbuilders)
    Theoretically, if you could reverse the polarity of the metal the (powder) coating would take itself off.

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Thanks FBI

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Corsa C / RWD Nova
    If the leak off pipes are ok - but the t pieces are black inside (oil) - Injector seals are the probable cause - we do loads of these at work !!!!

Dave

Gagged
    Drives
    Astra Saloon TD
    Glow plug light should pop up for a split millesecond - On my partners picasso, it comes up even when 29c+ outside... Not for long, but if u look for it, u can see it quickly

MIGWeb User
    Drives
    Strangely since i started this thread the car has started almost instantly off the 1st turn of the key.

Turned the ignition on after work yesterday (left car @ home so it had sat from the night before almost 20hrs) and again this morning after it had pissed down with rain all night. I caught a glimpse of the glow plug light on both occasions and the car started almost instantly.

Thanks for the help, ill get the leakoff pipes and seals checked.

John

+ Reply to Thread